Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usual download speed query!!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Usual download speed query!!

You've got,plenty of time to cancel it, don't rush yet, and no you wouldn't be charged for cancelling.
Run the BTw Test again using the original computer and check the results.
The improvement might be due to the fact that you've resynced the Modem  Shocked
Cholek3
Grafter

Just done 2 tests, one after another. Test 14 was on original computer, test 15 was on "new" computer. Both running Vista, both connected through same cat5e cable, both connection stating 100mbps. Second computer is (hardware wise) slower. I think I have to start thinking about new computer (not gonna happen in near future though). Any other test I could carry? The only thing I could do now is reinstalling Windows and see if that helps. At the end of the day, looks line fibre is working good, maybe latency is bit higher, but it was during peak time.
Anotherone
Champion

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the ping test from the BT speedtester, I'd rather rely on doing a ping at a command prompt to say ntp.plus.net
You could check that the computer with the slow speedtest has the latest drivers for the Network Interface Card.
Cholek3
Grafter

Cannot update the drivers, as just checked and my computer is in discontinued section, although I am pretty sure this is the latest driver anyway. I reinstalled Windows few months back and latest drivers were from 2009 I think, so don't think there would be new after few years. I might give it a try to look for it manually.
You were right, just pinged ntp.plus.net.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
C:\Users\Cholek>ping ntp.plus.net
Pinging ntp.plus.net [212.159.13.49] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.159.13.49: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.159.13.49: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.159.13.49: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=250
Reply from 212.159.13.49: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=250
Ping statistics for 212.159.13.49:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 17ms, Average = 14ms
C:\Users\Cholek>

Anotherone
Champion

Compare those pings at off-peak times.
I'm surprised anything that's new enough to be running Vista is having speed problems like that, but I'm no expert on that.
If you fancy giving your brain a workout, have a read of http://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574 ; I don't know if there's anything useful there for you.
Cholek3
Grafter

Great finding. Had a look, done some tweaks, but still same. I will keep trying to find a solution for that. I never expected, that my own laptop/windows will put a cap on my own internet. Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Might be worth you putting a post on the Windows Software board, with some info on the computer model etc. There could be a few experts on there that might know what the problem is.
Jimsky
Grafter

@ Chris
I have today done another speed test 1 week on, the only thing I have noticed is that the max achievable has dropped from 48.6 down to 42! 1meg a day!
? I will carry on keeping an eye on it to see if it falls any further
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Yes your downstream rate does seem a little sporadic. Please do keep an eye on it and if it keeps getting lower, we will need to take another look at it for you.
Cholek3
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
But if you want to be happy, then remove the lower faceplate but not the top vDSL plate and leave the modem plugged in undisturbed.

One day I would like to move my master socket, but you mentioned that I should not be touching Open Reach plate.Engineer who installed the modem said I will have no problems moving it if I want to. So is it possible or not? I would have to disconnect it to move the socket. Is there a procedure to do it, so I will not mess up with my IP profile?
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, it's not really a problem if done in the right way. How far do you want to move it? - Work out the cable length by what ever route it would have to go.
Cholek3
Grafter

Not far really, just wall next to it, which would be around 0.5-1m. I don't know if I am gonna need extra length of cable or not. I will not know untill I disconnect and see where cable is running inside the wall.
Anotherone
Champion

If you are actually thinking of moving the Master socket, then if it requires the BT incoming cable to be longer then I would say that is a no no. I'm surprised that an Openreach engineer would say it was Ok to move a master socket, did he think you just meant moving the modem? If it was an Openreach sub-contractor that said that, then I'd take the comment with a pinch of salt. Which do you really want moving?
Cholek3
Grafter

I definitely told him about master socket, because I even showed him where I want it moving. It was him who told me that source cable is running inside wall and those two cable hanging out from master socket are extensions. I am still not convinced and I think one of them is a source.
Anotherone
Champion

Then the OR engineer should have moved it to where you wanted it - they are supposed to do that on a Fibre install.
Can you see the cable outside where it goes into the wall? What does it look like - is it black and round about 5.3mm in diameter?