cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Technicolor TG582n in Bridge Mode

bsmith1
Dabbler

Re: Using the Technicolor TG582n in Bridge Mode

My firewall is configured to route a ton of stuff from inside my network where I have a server that provides dhcp etc.
I tried plugging in the red cable to my firewall but firewall reported no connection.
The problem I have is double NAT, internally is use 10.0.0.0/24 , firewall on 10.0.0.255#
Router comes 192.168.1.4 and provides dhcp with wifi
I want it to be dumb, no dhp, no wifi, login to plusnet and pass resultant ip to my firewall.
Got Static option as well. on plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

As gary says, it doesn't make sense ( even if possible ) to use the router at all in this configuration.
The firewall needs to be changed to make a pppoe ( rather than dhcp ) connection on its WAN.
In this case it will get your public ip and your will be configured exactly as you wish, with no double NAT problems.
What make/model is your firewall ? does it not have a pppoe option ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

waveydave76

I can understand why it doesnt make sense if the firewall supports pppoe and it is just sitting next to the router but there might be a reason why he wants to do that.
In my case, my firwall/servers are in a seperate room away from the master socket so I would like to use the router to bridge to a wireless connection. The "assign the public ip address" just seems to set a reserved address for the device in the DHCP service. Completely pointless as it doesn't actually bridge anything. I am assuming all it does is NAT everything to that device, which is all the "assign DMZ to a local device" does, with the addition of setting a DHCP reservation. This is worse than useless because the firewall detects a conflicting address still used on the router and refuses to come up.
I could set up pppoe on my firewall, but I cannot just plug my router into the BT modem because I need the wireless capabilities of the router. So I either need to turn almost everything off on the router so it acts as nothing but a switch with wireless interface if that is even possible, or use the router for pppoe but manage to set up bridging properly without all this conflicting ip address problem.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I could set up pppoe on my firewall, but I cannot just plug my router into the BT modem because I need the wireless capabilities of the router. So I either need to turn almost everything off on the router so it acts as nothing but a switch with wireless interface if that is even possible, or use the router for pppoe but manage to set up bridging properly without all this conflicting ip address problem.

In your case, I would suggest the best option is to connect you firewall to the modem directly with pppoe and then connect the router ( via one of it's LAN ports ) to your firewall as a wireless AP. On the router , disable DHCP and set it's ( the router ) LAN IP to be a suitable one in the same subnet as your firewall LAN. i.e. not in the DHCP range and NOT the same as the firewall.  That way you can still access the routers GUI to configure it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

waveydave76

Sorry, confusing use of the word router in the middle of that.
My situation is... master socket, BT modem, and plusnet router in the hallway, firewall and servers in another room with no cables connecting the two. I meant I can't plug the firewall directly into the modem, so I need the plusnet router to create a wireless link.
So I either need to get the plusnet router acting as nothing but a wireless enabled switch and use pppoe from the wireless interface in my firewall (I'm doubting myself now, is that even possible to use pppoe across a switch like that?) or I need the plusnet to do the connecting and bridge that connection to my firewall.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm doubting myself now, is that even possible to use pppoe across a switch like that?) or I need the plusnet to do the connecting and bridge that connection to my firewall.

I'd doubt that as well. I'd also doubt that it's possible to get the router(TG582) to make the pppoe connection and bridge that to the wireless. Have you thought about using homeplugs to make a connection from the modem to the firewall ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@waveydave76,
Have a look at this http://wiki.aa.org.uk/index.php/TG582N particularly the section on disabling NAT and Mixed NAT. I'm still not sure you're going to be able to make a wireless connection to your firewall though...

waveydave76

Already using them for my internal network as I have several devices round the house without wireless interfaces. Besides, homeplug is still a switched network. If I can't connect my firewall to the modem across the switch in the plusnet router, I won't be able to do it through homeplug either.
The other aspect to this is that my firewall is a VM running on ESXi on a HP Microserver. As this doesn't support directpath, even somehow connecting the box to the BT modem, it will still be presented through a virtual switch in the box...
Thanks for the reading material. Every way I think of this now, I suspect what I am trying to do is not possible, but if you have any flashes of inspiration, I am all ears (or eyes even)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: MisterW
As gary says, it doesn't make sense ( even if possible ) to use the router at all in this configuration.
The firewall needs to be changed to make a pppoe ( rather than dhcp ) connection on its WAN.
In this case it will get your public ip and your will be configured exactly as you wish, with no double NAT problems.
What make/model is your firewall ? does it not have a pppoe option ?

I wonder if bsmith1 has spotted your questions?
andyleemeuk

I tried for a good day in getting this to work  Undecided  Undecided I then decided that it wasn't worth my time and bought at Vigor 120 ADSL Ethernet Modem, plugged it in, connected it to my Airport Extreme and put confirmed the logon settings on my airport.
It worked instantly and fixed all the issues I was having with my broadband.
My advice - bin the Technicolor TG582n
bsmith1
Dabbler

I found my firewall can do PPPOE login so I plugged the red cable into my firewall and set it up.
Result public IP on my firewall.
Unplugged the TG582n put it back in the box.
Result.  Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Excellent!
You could always use the 582 as a wireless AP, see reply 20 above.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for the reading material. Every way I think of this now, I suspect what I am trying to do is not possible, but if you have any flashes of inspiration, I am all ears (or eyes even)

@waveydave, For some more 'light' reading try this www.technicolorbroadbandpartner.com/getfile.php?id=6212 .

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That is certainly a document to get one's teeth into Shocked   Good find!
rashomon

Hi all
Been struggling with this for a while now.  My setup is I think pretty straightforward - ADSL line to TG582n and then ethernet to Time Capsule.
I want to use the TG582n as a simple bridge and have my Time Capsule handle all the wireless routing, firewall etc.
I've been through the steps posted by Gary and MisterW and am able to get the TG582n into Bridge Mode (or so it claims when I login). 
However, as soon as I apply the CLi changes, the internet light on the TG582n goes out. 
Further, when I then check internet connectivity on the TG582n via the admin console, the system shows a red X against ATM.  This doesn't sound promising but I'm not a network guru so it may be no issue.
Do I need to disable both the DHCP and the Firewall on the TG582n ?
Do I need to set up my interent connection on the Time Capsule as PPPoE and supply my usual plus net ADSL credentials?
Anything else ?! I feel I'm close!
Sorry - lots of questions and responses much appreciated.