cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the TG582n as a wifi repeater

MrDrem

Using the TG582n as a wifi repeater

Not sure if this is the right place or not, if it's not, feel free to shift it.
I've just moved to Plusnet, finally shifting over this morning.  My current setup is as follows:
Draytek Vigor 120
to
Linksys E4200
Linksys E4200
to
Wifi
NAS
Powerline networking plugs
to
set-top box
x-box
This all works fine, and most of the house gets good wifi coverage, with the exception of a small area in the living room, where it's poor..
I nabbed the plusnet modem/router as I prefur to try and fix support calls with the original equipment, and was hoping to use it as a wifi repeater in the mean time, popping it into the Powerline networking plug to get the wifi into the previously missed area.
This would therefore make the final leap:
to
set-top box
x-box
TG582n
Then:
TG582n
to
Wifi
I'm sure that I saw a thread here on how I should go about this, but searching doesn't seem to find it for me again.  Anyone else got a similar setup working, and got any hints as to where I might start?
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Using the TG582n as a wifi repeater

It's pretty simple really.
Disable DHCP on the TG582n , give it a static IP on the same subnet as the E4200 ( but out of the E4200's DHCP range ) and then connect up to any of the TG582n LAN ports. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrDrem

I thought that it should be that easy...
I'm having trouble finding where to disable dchp, and to get it to ask for a static IP.
I can do the static IP address from the e4200 though...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There's a good guide here http://npr.me.uk/together.html about connecting 2 TG582s togther, just  use the bits relevenat to the remote router in that guide
Basically:-
You need to Log into router at 192.168.1.254, go to Home Network, click Interfaces then Local Network and Configure.
Disable DHCP by Unchecking the Use DHCP Server box.
Then change the LAN IP by selecting the 192.168.1.254/24 entry and clicking Edit, change the IP to one in the E4200s subnet ( note you will lose contact with the router gui now but when you connect it to the network you should be able to access its gui via the new IP you just set )
I can do the static IP address from the e4200 though...
No you can't , the TG582 will not request an IP for its LAN interface via DHCP and so any static assignment on the e4200 will not work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrDrem

That worked perfectly.
Thanks!