cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Home Hub with PlusNet Broadband service

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Using the BT Home Hub with PlusNet Broadband service

I read on one of these Fora some time ago, that from a certain level of Firmware (6.2.2.6?), the BT Home Hub recognises all PlusNet domains and can be used with PlusNet Broadband service. I cannot seem to find the reference so can anybody tell me:
1) Does this work with the Original V1.0 Home Hub and if so, what level of firmware is required
2) Do V1,5 and V2.0 of the Home Hub also work?
3) If connected via PlusNet, will the Firmware still auto-update as it does with BT?
4) Can the BT Hub Phone be used on both POTS and VOIP?
12 REPLIES 12
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Using the BT Home Hub with PlusNet Broadband service

From what was said last week, in two threads, the BT Home hub can not be used on the PN ISP

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,72595.0.html
Wheel_nut
Grafter

See this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,60561.0.html
I never did get an answer but I think Dave Tomlinson may be able to shed som light on this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that didnt come up in the discussion this week, I cant find the particular thread, but I think it was that the Current Hubs are locked to BT, Best of Luck
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I guess that you could use the BT Home Hub as a simple Router - but all of the BT specific services will NOT be available.  So your options 3) and 4) will just not be there.
Plusnet have trialled TR69 on the new Thomson Router to allow automatic firmware updating, but  there is still a lot of work to do before it can become a formal product.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bud
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
From what was said last week, in two threads, the BT Home hub can not be used on the PN ISP

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,72595.0.html

The homehub will work as a router on a plusnet connection, I know as I have tried a v1, a v1.5 and a v2.0 on plusnet and f9 accounts.  You cant use things like the VOIP side as its locked to the BT services.
A friend of mine uses a homehub 2.0 as his router on his f9 account simply for the powersave feature to turn of the wireless when its not needed.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Bud, That is enlightening. Do you know whether the Home Hub requires a particular level of Firmware to work as a Wireless Router with PlusNet?
Bud
Grafter

It does and I cant recall the version number of the top of my head.  I had to use the firmware recovery method to update a v1 router so it would accept the plusnet username for the adsl log in.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Is it just PlusNet Usernames that it accepts or will it also accept Metronet and other PlusNet brands?
Bud
Grafter

I am not sure about metronet adsl log ins.  I have only tried it with plusdsl and f9 log ins which have both worked.
Stormmy

Quote from: pierre_pierre
   that didnt come up in the discussion this week, I cant find the particular thread, but I think it was that the Current Hubs are locked to BT, Best of Luck

Not true, I am a Plusnet customer using a BT Home Hub v2 with no issues. There are very cheap on eBay so i bought one. I full expected to have issues but was looking forward to the challenge of making it work. Imagine my disappointment when I logged on the the hub's web interface and simply entered my Plusnet log on infomation. The wirelass range is so much better than my Netgear... 🙂
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Last time I read about it, it was only the earlier versions that they'd managed to get working on other ISPs by re-flashing.
So they've found a workaround for the later versions now then?
I don't have one, just interested Smiley
Bud
Grafter

No the situation is still the same with other ISPs.  The homehubs will work on a plusnet connection, or BT one but not on other ISPs