cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my own router - ASUS DSL-AC68U Wireless Router

sandjanderson

Using my own router - ASUS DSL-AC68U Wireless Router

I'm currently on the standard broadband service, but might move to fibre at some point next year.  I am considering switching from the free Technicolor TG582n router from Plusnet to a ASUS DSL-AC68U Wireless Router which I would need to buy.  I want to improve the situation when two people are using WiFi at the same time, have better coverage around my property and future proof myself for a while.  I currently get around 8Mbs speeds out of a theoretical 17Mbs.

Can anyone tell me if the ASUS DSL-AC68U will definitely work with a standard broadband connection (and fibre service in the future) assuming I gather the correct settings together. I've read about a few people really struggling with setup.  What issues might I face and is there any other information I should gather to be sure I can safely switch?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Using my own router - ASUS DSL-AC68U Wireless Router

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

I've used an Asus DSL-AC68U succesfully on both ADSL and VDSL (fibre) connections. You might like to look at the settings I currently use for VDSL in Post #9 here; although the menus are slightly different with the latest firmware, and I have also now set G.Vector to 'on' (I live in hope!).

sandjanderson

That's great, thanks.  Initially I will be buying the router/modem for the standard plusnet ASDL service.  Did you have any specific configuration problems with ASDL?  

I guess I'm a little nervous spending £150 on a router without being sure I can get the thing working so any reassurance you can give is appreciated!

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Not particularly; although the Asus does have a large number of settings available which, depending on your level of technical knowledge, may be rather daunting. The critical thing is not to 'fiddle' with the DSL settings in the 'Administration' section, but set them to 'off' or 'default' - they are intended for environments where the service provider's network does not have Digital Line Management (DLM) like BTOR do.

sandjanderson

Great, that sounds like very sensible advice.  I'll probably take the leap and give it go.

Thanks.