cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my Broadband Premier at two locations

Mogie

Using my Broadband Premier at two locations

How can I set up my broadband unmetered premier Plusnet account to work at my home address and from my work rental address during the week?  It mentions something about multiple CLI numbers but I don't know how to set this up.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Using my Broadband Premier at two locations

AFAIK you can't as it is specific to the phone line.
The CLI is in reference to dialup access
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you have a broadband  line at Work.  You can actually log onto PN on any line, you only get charged at your home line, not on others Cool Roll_eyes
Not applicable

Broadband is specific to a physical line to a large degree.
When a line is activated for broadband it has a realm allocated in BTs system which allows you to connect to a service provided by a company.
Typically the PlusNet realm is plusdsl.net (although others have been used in the past and are valid, also others may be used for the other vISPs too - but I don't know those off the top of my hat.)
So; the only place that you can log onto a broadband connection using your PlusNet credentials is if the physical line has the same realm attached to it as your account.
I have a broadband line at home, and at work - both of which are part of the @plusdsl.net realm. Each line has its own account and associated subscription fee's etc, and if I desire I could connect at my work location using my home location credentials.
There is little point though, as to have the realm in place at work, there has to be an associated account - so thats the one logically used to connect at work.

Ignoring then the fact that it *is* possible, its not really practical as very little is gained. (Other than the ability to utilise two sets of download allocation across both sites - if I used all the included GB on my home account, I could then use my work account to continue downloading stuff instead of buying additional GBs, but really its only a theoretical gain.)
The simple answer is that its not something you can do.
The CLI numbers refer to using the dial-up capabilities of your account to connect via a 56k modem. You could use this to get internet access whilst at work, but you must bear in mind that connecting via dialup will disconnect your broadband router as you can only be logged in at one place at one time.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

James,
Reading your much more detailed reply a question springs to mind.
If you have two accounts an expensive high usage account and a £9.99 Option 1 account could you use the high user account on either connection providing you only used it at one place at a time.
Mogie

Thanks to all for your prompt replies.  The rental property has no phone line installed at present. If I go for Plusnet's home & broadband package - 1 month contract - £14.98 can that be set up from scratch without setting up a BT account first?  I guess I will need to get a BT line set up & installed first?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Correct - although you can do that through PlusNet which is a bit cheaper than BT retail and doesn't land you with a 12 month contract. You would need to do that via the ticket system as the signup wizard doesn't have that option yet.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Oldjim - it is possible to do this, yes.
@Mogie - if you're going for BBYW option 1 with home phone we will install the line for you and you won't have a BT account - we'll be looking after everything to do with the line. You won't be able to get BT to install a line without signing up to a contract with BT, iirc this is for 18 months.
Hope that helps,
puddy
Grafter

Do you have a pay monthly mobile phone account?
Some providers like mine 3 offer some accounts for 50% off. mine costs me £7.50 per month for 3GB and I got a free usb modem for my laptop it will work in a desktop computer too.
Puddy
Mogie

Thanks Puddy. I'm with o2  monthly contract - can they do broadband without me having a landline phone connection installed?
itsme
Grafter

Yes, go here for information. Mobile broadband use GPRS and Wifi. GPRS is slower than a fixed line broadband unless you live in London where they are offering high speed access on 3G network. Outside London I believe 2G speeds are approximately 120K and 3G approximately 454K.
The other option is to use your mobile as a modem to access the internet, depend on your handset whether you can do this. On the website they have this as £1 per day, but normally a download limit apply but I cannot find this. You only pay when you access the internet. In the past I have used this option when my landline broadband have been down.
Edit:
Data Charges
Unless a data or BlackBerry Bolt On is taken, your tariff will include O2 Web Daily under which data will be charged at £3 per MB up to a maximum of £1 per day (00:00am to 23:59pm). Once you have reached your maximum daily charge of £1, O2 Web Daily allows you unlimited use of O2 UK‘s Edge/GPRS/ 3G networks (as applicable to your handset), for personal internet use via your mobile phone. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:
in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing; or
in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.
If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
Data usage is measured in kilobytes (KB). 1MB = 1024 Kilobytes (KB), 1024 MB = 1 Gigabyte (GB). If Data usage is less than £1 it will be rounded to the nearest kilobyte on a daily basis, and charges are rounded up to the nearest 1p. You are billed for the amount of data that travels over the data network. Please note that your bill may include charges for re-sent data packets and packets added to control the flow of data over the network.
The prices shown do not incorporate data roaming rates.
Not applicable

Quote from: Oldjim
James,
Reading your much more detailed reply a question springs to mind.
If you have two accounts an expensive high usage account and a £9.99 Option 1 account could you use the high user account on either connection providing you only used it at one place at a time.

Theoretically, yes.
I doubt PN would be bothered these days because of how the network is managed to ensure that bandwidth is available, although I recall there might be a clause somewhere about not using residential products for businesses and vice-versa. (Again, thinking back it could be because of certain assumptions about the likely times of day the bandwidth would be consumed by each account type.)
Since the last few product refreshes, and taking into account the way the PN manage the network these days, I doubt there would be an issue really either way.
If you were considering an example of say, a holiday home used some weekends and holidays, and a usual place of residence through the week - it could make perfect sense to have a BBYW Pro account at one address, and a BBYW 1 account at the other, changing the credentials over so that the one you are physically at is the one with the higher priority profile attached.
Taking the example further; if you use voip you could essentially have the same number whether you were at home or at the holiday home too without much effort.
chillypenguin
Grafter

@itsme
I am sat in my office at home, with my PlusNet connection @ 3.5M, when I turn around to use my work laptop I will enjoy 7.2M mobile broadband from Vodafone.
So landline broadband is not necessary faster.
itsme
Grafter

Thought the maximum speed was 1.8M
Edit: Okay just visited Vodafone website and see that that 7.2M is available in certain post codes in London and at airports. Have checked this out before as I'm with Vodafone but forgot.
puddy
Grafter

I unlocked my 3 usb modem so i can  now have better speed than published and it will now work on all mobile broadband services. 02 vodaphone orange t-mobile etc
you dont need a land line because it use a mobile phone signal.
puddy