cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a spare wireless router as a range extender??

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Using a spare wireless router as a range extender??

Hi all, I did a search and found:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111416.0.html
which gives a little info on what I am seeking.
What I have is a Konig  CMP-WNROUT10 that I was given. It is a wireless 4 port router, supporting PPPoE.
I would like to know if it will work as a wireless range extender at the end of one of my LAN cables, with a spare LAN port then feeding the pc that is already working at the end of this cable. My plusnet modem router is the TG582n. I have not tried this yet, so am seeking advice before I do.
I am not too knowlodgeable on hows and whys of such things but can usually follow setups ok. My background is servicing radio comms gear to component level the past 40 years, but all the dns, tcip, client etc is black magic to me!
Any ideas or help appreciated.
Thanks, Robin
6 REPLIES 6
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Using a spare wireless router as a range extender??

sure it should be fairly simple to setup,
the easiest way to do this would be to connect the konig to the pc (not the tg582 at this point).
locate the LAN setup page and change its ip address to be something like 192.168.1.220 and fixed (assuming your tg582 still has the default setup for wifi and lan) and static.
now locate the wifi page and change the settings to match the tg582's wifi setup (ssid +password) with the same types of encryption selected.
now disable dhcp on the konig router, save and switch off.
connect the konig to the tg582 with your pc plugged into the konig and turn it back on
you should now be able ot log into the tg582 from the pc (default lan ip is 192.168.1.254) and the konig (if you used my earlier ip suggestion it will be 192.168.1.220).
your wifi items should be able to connect without requiring a new password with your range extended.
your pc should still be able to operate with full internet access.

if the wifi doesn't work properly then log back into the konig and change the ssid +password to something completely different and change its operating channel (so its on a different channel to the tg582)
now find it with the wifi items and type in the password,
regardless of which wifi setup option you choose your wifi devices should retain full lan & internet access

and sorry but I cant find anything on the knoig's advanced setup so I cant really help with that side of things
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time for such a detailed reply.
I will try that possibly tomorrow and report back here either way.
Best wishes, Robin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

connect the konig to the tg582
Make sure you use one the LAN ports on the konig to connect to the TG582 and NOT the WAN port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks MisterW, I WOULD have used the WAN port indeed!
Best wishes,
Robin
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

In know netgear has a function where you can extend the wifi range without the need of cables in between the 2 routers.
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Hello again nanotm, after a few hiccups it is now all working as I wished for.
Wireless connection was not a problem after following your setup guide (the idea is for my Samsung S3 to work better upstairs, which it now does). I changed the Konig SSID last letter from a "C" to a "B" just so I could see which wireless signal was which as I have an app on my S3 phone called "WiFi analyzer" which shows signal strength and APs as well. Very useful when I experiment making 2.4GHz antennae, which is another interest related to my radio days.
It was the original pc upstairs that was at the end of lan cable (that the router now intercepts) that was a problem. It could see the konig and the technicolor both ok, also network places on downstairs pc, but there was no internet connection.
I checked network settings on this pc and it appeared that internet gateway was not working, which I am not sure what I did to it after a few mouse clicks (!), but it now all works fine.
As I said, the whole internet thing is a mystery to me! Give me a faulty radio transmitter-receiver any day!
Thank you again for your help and also to others who took the time to reply.
Kind regards, Robin