cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a range extender with plusnet router

healeyfels

Using a range extender with plusnet router

I've got a Thompson TG545 v8 router, and have got some blackspots in my house where WiFi is very weak, so I'm looking for recommendations for a range extender that might help? Also, on Trusted Reviews there is a review of a router that would appear to give great coverage:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/d-link-dir-645-smartbeam-router_Peripheral_review
so I was wondering if I could just plug the D-Link DIR-645 into the Thompson router with an ethernet cable, and see if that solves the problem? The D-Link hasn't got a modem, so presumably I can't just replace the Thompson with the D-Link.
Richard
2 REPLIES 2
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Using a range extender with plusnet router

Hi there,
I believe it'd work though you'd need to tell the D-Link not to use its DHCP service as otherwise it'll conflict with the Thomson. Might be easier to buy a wireless repeater rather than another router though I don't know if there's an equivalent model to the D-Link you mention (with the same smart beam technology I mean). I'd recommend having a hunt round for one of those to be honest.
daskinner
Grafter

Re: Using a range extender with plusnet router

Hi I did something very similar the other day. I changed the 585v8 for my old Netgear and used the 585v8 as a wireless/ access point connected via Ethernet cable
What I had to do in the 585v8 settings was disable the DHCP and change the IP address from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.0.2 to fit in with the Netgear and changed the IP range within the Netgear so it didn’t give this address out to another device.
This is how to update and change the settings in the 585v8
1- open the router interface
2- choose home network
3- choose interfaces
4- select local network
5- config / disable DHCP
6- change the ip address
I kept the SSID and pass code the same on both routers just changed the channels Netgear on 1 and 585v8 on 6