cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a range extender with Thomson TG585

telred

Using a range extender with Thomson TG585

I am trying to install a TP-Link WA380RE range extender to my system. The 'Easy install' doesn't work, so I've used the CD installation. Initially I couldn't get it to 'find' the extender, but by some miracle it eventually found it and appeared to work. Except that when I actually used the extender, after less than 5 minutes the internet dropped out and the modem rebooted. This keeps happening making the extender unusable. Any ideas? The Thomson router address is 192.168.1.254 and the extender address is 192.168.0.254. Is the zero in the third position a problem? Has anyone managed to get any extender to work?
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Using a range extender with Thomson TG585

Hi there,
I'm assuming that the extender is connecting wirelessly with the TG582n?
after less than 5 minutes the internet dropped out and the modem rebooted

The rebooting sounds odd, otherwise I'd hazard a guess that you might need to change wireless channels on the router, you might want to give that ago anyway and unless you're already doing so, try connecting the router to the extender via Ethernet and see what happens.

192.168.1.254 and the extender address is 192.168.0.254. Is the zero in the third position a problem? Has anyone managed to get any extender to work?

No, that sounds fine to me, it would be an issue if they were trying to connect to the network with the same gateway.
Let us know how you get on.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
prichardson
Grafter

It sounds like your Extender is falling found of wireless power saving mode.
Although originally intended for PCs that caused this, the symptoms you describe with the reboots fit in. The following needs to be done with the settings in your TG585.
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/fixing-wireless-compatibility-problems-with-the-thomson-5...
I have not read through the full details of the extender too much, but it suggests it is simply a wireless access point active as a relay, taking its own feed from another wireless base station.
If this is the case, the IP you have given the extender is likely incorrect. It should be an IP within the range of your your existing network. I recommend giving the last octet a value between 1 and 64. e.g 192.168.0.10
If however the extender is also acting as a separate router, then the IP may be perfectly fine.
telred

The extender is wirelessly connected to the router; it's in a different room. How do I change wireless channels?
In reply to P Richardson, the extender has its own default address. I haven't given it one. It is an extender ie it relays the signal from the router in order to boost the range. I have tried to give the extender an address of 192.168.1.254 but then it can't find it when I try to set it up. I will have a look at the power saving mode though. Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I would suggest giving the extender an address of 192.168.1.63 , that is in the same subnet as the TG582 BUT outside its default DHCP range. That should ensure that the TP link doesn't clash with anything else but is accessible from your network. Also disable DHCP on the TP link.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: telred
I have tried to give the extender an address of 192.168.1.254

Given that that is the address of your router, trying to assign it to something else is a recipe for disaster.
telred

To MisterW, I contacted TP-Link and they suggested something similar to your idea. However I don't know how to do that. Their instructions seemed to involve changing the IP address of the computer, which I wasn't comfortable doing. I tried to type in the IP address of the extender into the address bar (192.168.0 254) (which would allow me to alter the address in the extender) but couldn't access it, possibly because of some setting on my computer. I simply ddon't know how to change the IP address of the extender. Perhaps I should try a different product?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok , I'll try and give procedure that may ( ought to! ) work.
1 ) First factory reset the TP link and then connect a PC directly to it with a network cable.
2 ) Login to the TP link ( it will be on address 192.168.0.254 )
3 ) Change its IP address ( manual page 23 ) to 192.168.1.63
4 ) Change the DHCP settings ( manual page 37 ) to start 192.168.1.11 end 192.168.1.12
NB if 3 ) causes the TP link  to reboot ( it may do ) then start from 1) again but reverse steps 3) and 4)
5 ) relogin to the TP link ( its address is now 192.168.1.63 ) ( you may have to discconect/reconnect the network cable to the PC to force a new IP address to be allocated )
6 ) Disable DHCP on the TP link ( page 37 )
7 ) configure the Wireless range extender stuff ( as presumably you did before! )
8 ) restart the  TP link
9 ) from a PC connected to your thomson router, check you can connect and login to the TP link ( 192.168.1.63 )
Hopefully that shoud be it...
As to whether it will work successfuly as a range extender I'm not sure, its suck and and see I'm afraid

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

See pages 10 to 13 of this manual:
http://www.tp-link.com/Resources/document/TL-WA830RE_User_Guide.pdf
Yuo will need to enter the relevant wi-fi password etc for the TG585 (after finding it using the 'survey' option), all being well the 'range extender' LED should light.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
telred

Reply to MisterW. I reset the extender. I unplugged the ethernet cable from the router and plugged it into the extender.(So I now have the extender connected to my computer via the ethernet cable). I entered the address 192.168.0.254 and pressed Enter and the message 'This web page is not available' comes up, as it has every time I've tried it. Is one of the settings on my computer incorrect? Do I need to close my firewall or anti virus software?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You might need to check the PC connection status, possibly refresh/repair as it may be looking for your router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Is one of the settings on my computer incorrect?
Check that your network connection on the PC is set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' . Assuming you're running windows , The TP link manual has the detailed instructions
Also check that you did a full factory reset of the tp-link ( page 3 of the manual ), you need to hold the reset button for a few seconds.
Firewall and anti virus shouldn't have any effect.

telred

Sorry guys, Thanks for your advice but I give up. I've tried again to get to 192.168.1.254 and failed gain. It just won't load. Also when I plug in the extender it still brings down the internet connection so I can't get to the IP address. The computer was set up to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. I'm fed up, I'm going to try a different extender. Once again, thanks for your help.