cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a XBox 360 as a media extender with TG585 V7

therehos

Using a XBox 360 as a media extender with TG585 V7

Not a question, just a tip to save you having the hassle I've had over the last month. I've been trying to get my XBox set up as a media extender on my home network. The XBox 360 could not see any PC on my network. Long story short, nothing worked and I was ready to bin the router and get a new one.
However, I found that if you turn Extended Security OFF (Toolbox -> Game and Application Sharing -> Configure) then it connects straight away.
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Using a XBox 360 as a media extender with TG585 V7

Before you made that change did it outright not work, or work sometimes and not others?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cardch

Arghh!!  I have had the same issue for days now, it has been driving me now.  I have notcied that if I connect the Xbox via a wired connection all is OK, it just fails to be contactable by the Media Centre PC when its on wireless.  However, the Xbox can see Xbox Live perfectly happily. 
I had hoped the above tip would resolve everything but sadly not - it doesn't appear to have made any difference.  If I finally work it out (without throwing the router away) I will post here.....
kelter

I have the same problem.
I cannot get the xbox to connect to the media center on my PC.
The xbox doesn't see the PC and the PC doesn't see the xbox.
Has anyone come up with a solution?
Thank you
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've always struggled to get this working satisfactorily when I've tried, although admittedly I didn't invest a great deal of time trying to sort it out. My Xbox is wired to the router and my Desktop/media center is upstairs and connected wirelessly. Everything would work for a short period of time and then stop for no discernible reason with the Xbox losing connectivity to the PC. Like I say, I didn't spend too much time trying to sort it out, just switched to using a router that worked. I struggle to find routers that work with my setup as the desktop is some distance from the router. I've had the greatest success with the 2Wire 2700HGV and a pre-production Zyxel P-660HN-T1A.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵