cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a BT HomeHub3 on PlusNet - OK, but can I turn off BTWiFi(+FON)?

mooblie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Using a BT HomeHub3 on PlusNet - OK, but can I turn off BTWiFi(+FON)?

Title says it all really.  I am using a BT-HomeHub3 successfully with PlusNet, as it gives me a 60% increase in speed over the NetGear router I was using (i.e. from 1.5 Mbps to 2.5 Mbps - impressive, eh?)
However, as well as "my chosen" SSID, it's broadcasting both "BTWiFi"... AND "BTWiFi-with-FON" !!
I have researched how to opt-out/turn this off, but all the procedures I've found assume you use BT as your ISP.  As you can imagine, I've been all over the BTHH3 settings pages.
Any ideas anyone?  With just 2.5 Mbps, I really don't want to be offering my connection to the world to share!
14 REPLIES 14
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Using a BT HomeHub3 on PlusNet - OK, but can I turn off BTWiFi(+FON)?

I did some quick research and came to the conclusion that you cannot turn these off on a Home Hub 3.  It was possible on earlier HH models.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Have you tried connecting to either of them? I would have thought that since it is no longer on a bt bb connection then it would not be able to verify the link. I use a HH2 for my voip but it complained it couldn't connect to the bt servers to use bt's voip.
mooblie
Rising Star

Well no, as I don't have a BT account!  
I can connect to "BTWiFi" or "BTWiFi-with-FON"  as WiFi networks,  but at the Bt-FON login screen that appears, I can get no further.  My concern is that someone who DOES have a BT-FON account might be able to login, and  leech my (limited) bandwidth.
@Reedrichards - thanks for that - I was afraid of that.  Sad
dick:quote
itsme
Grafter

Me for one, I find BT-Fon very useful.
BT limit the connections to 500kbps so this tend to limit the use to email and general web browsing. I run Fon on my connection which BT users can also use and I live close to a town centre and it been nearly 2 years since the last time some one have used the connection. My router is on 24/7 so I would not worry about it too much.
mushy
Grafter

From what i can gather, If you do a full reset (pin in back for 20/30 seconds) they are disabled by default and are only enabled again after connecting back to a BT line and opting in to BT's Openzone, fon or BTWifi although haven't got one myself but that is what happened when i has to default one for somebody else when they was having issues connecting.
Don't forget that will lose all your changed settings.
mooblie
Rising Star

Hi mushy:  Was that a BT HomeHub 3, or an earlier model?
andy265
Grafter

On my HomeHub 3 I used for a while after transfering over from BT, resetting via a pin in the back turned off the BTWifi and it didn't come back on.
mooblie
Rising Star

Thanks, Andy - I tried that...didn't work for me.  Sad
- backed up configs
- held pin in back panel reset socket for 30 seconds, till lights flashed in patterns (factory reset I assume?)
- restored backed up configs
- "my" SSID comes back, as does "BTWiFi" and BTWiFi-with-FON"
Whether it's my software version (4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 - Type A) that's different from yours?
Or somehow the two BT SSIDs being enabled is stored in my config file? - I don't know.
The config file is not text-editor-readable either.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: mooblie
- restored backed up configs

That's the problem. when you restored the configs then you restored the wifi settings as well.
You will need to manually set up your user/p/w & wifi again after a reset then back that up and you should be able to restore that copy.
mooblie
Rising Star

Give that man a cigar!!  Many thanks, Hairy Biker - that did it.  Cheesy
Factory reset, then MANUALLY re-enter username/pwd/SSID/pwd, and now I have NO BTWiFi/FON nonsense.  Many thanks again.
(And I now have a saved "config without FON" file too.)
One final question, if I may:
As I am NOT a BT subscriber, I assume the BTWiFi/FON will stay off.
However, I sometimes help out others who ARE BT customers, but who want this turned off too.  
For them, with a BT broadband username: will BTWiFi/FON eventually turn itself back on?
(unless they jump through the hoops necessary to contact BT customer support to have it turned off remotely)
itsme
Grafter

Why do they want to turn it off. Hopefully if they do turn it off they can't use other BTFon or Fon points when they are away from home or their BB is down.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It isn't necessary to contact the help desk to opt in or out. https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon/status
mooblie
Rising Star

@itsme - Not sure - I guess they don't like the idea of someone using their connection, despite any assurances from BT (or me) it's safe.  They also never expect to use anyone else's connection when they're out.

@Jaggies - thanks for that.  That's the first time I've come across that page, despite researching for some time, before I managed to turn BTWiFi/FON off locally, within my own hub. But then, I'm not a BT customer.
itsme
Grafter

Shame that some users want to turn it off. I find the hotspots very useful especially with PN VoIP, keep my mobile call charges down. Unlike BT users on my Fon I can see who using it and it does not get use very often, The main reason that the hotspots do not get use by your neighbours is the speed is capped so only good for basic web traffic