cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a BT Home Hub 2 as a Wireless Access Point???

PembsPanther
Grafter

Using a BT Home Hub 2 as a Wireless Access Point???

Morning Everyone I hope you have all had a great Christmas Smiley
Stumbled across a bit of a problem over the festive season, we have 3 children and they all got Nexus 7 tablet from Santa all connected fine to PN and even with us all using resources still works great, however, we have stumbled across a bit of a dead spot in my sons bedroom where he loses signal, I was surprised at this because we hardly live in a castle! Anyway after doing a bit of research it seems it may be possible for me to use our old BT Home Hub 2 as a wireless access point upstairs, so the plan would be to have the HH2 plugged in upstairs and it some how be connected to our standard PN Technicolour router, I think  Cheesy
Can anyone shed some light on how I would achieve this? What I need to do? Does the HH2 upstairs need to be connected to the phone line or will it magically pick up the existing network? I have no idea so please a fools guide would be outstanding Smiley
I know I could go and buy an extender but I am a cheap skate and have this HH2 sat here doing nothing and from what I have read it will do the same job once I wave my magic wand at it Smiley
Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Using a BT Home Hub 2 as a Wireless Access Point???

Quote from: PembsPanther
Does the HH2 upstairs need to be connected to the phone line or will it magically pick up the existing network?

I'm afraid neither of those would work.  You need a wired Ethernet connection between your existing router and the Home Hub.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You need an ethernet connection to the hh2 form the other router, you can then use it to send out a wifi signal, but you will need the cable connection first.
You will find more details here http://www.filesaveas.com/bthomehub_tworouters.html
I use mine as a voip phone repeater for my pn voip.
PembsPanther
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Quote from: PembsPanther
Does the HH2 upstairs need to be connected to the phone line or will it magically pick up the existing network?

I'm afraid neither of those would work.  You need a wired Ethernet connection between your existing router and the Home Hub.

Hello
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I could do that I have a spare 30 metre ethernet cable hanging around somewhere so I could run that from the Technicolour upstairs to the Home Hub 2, what would I then need to do?
PembsPanther
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
You need an ethernet connection to the hh2 form the other router, you can then use it to send out a wifi signal, but you will need the cable connection first.
You will find more details here http://www.filesaveas.com/bthomehub_tworouters.html
I use mine as a voip phone repeater for my pn voip.

Hello
Thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for the great link Smiley I had already found this:
http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html
on the same site, after reading it I found myself a bit confused though so will take a proper look at yours and try and figure it out from there. The one thing that confused me is it seems wireless had to be turned off on one of the router, I need both of them to broadcast a wireless signal will that be possible?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You can have them both on, but you need to disable dhcp on the HH2 and setup a static route & static ip different from the other router.
Then the wifi connected to it is passed via ethernet to the other router and out that way.
If you need more help I will have another look at my routing on my HH2.
PembsPanther
Grafter

Quote from: Hairy
You can have them both on, but you need to disable dhcp on the HH2 and setup a static route & static ip different from the other router.
Then the wifi connected to it is passed via ethernet to the other router and out that way.
If you need more help I will have another look at my routing on my HH2.

Your a star Hairy Biker thanks for the help, I am going to have a play with it this afternoon see how we go Wink
Thanks again
PembsPanther
Grafter

Just a quick update, I have got it all working great on my desk and have even found a couple of old Comtred Powerline plugs so no need to get my drill out either Smiley Very easy to do and will save me some headaches, thanks again for the replies Smiley