cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a 2nd Router because wifi is not strong enough

kevin2430

Using a 2nd Router because wifi is not strong enough

Can you help please Plusnet? I am a customer; My wireless router is not powerful enough to get a signal in the front room, it is in an extension at the rear of the house. The router is a Plusnet Technicolour, I have bought a spare and want to run an asdl  lead around the house to the front room. How do I make the second router a "slave" while still keeping the main router in place?  I am reasonably pc literate, but I do know when to ask for help smile emoticon hopefully you will be able to assist me? smile emoticon
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Using a 2nd Router because wifi is not strong enough

You cannot connect 2 routers to an ADSL connection at the same time. You can however, connect the 2nd router using an ethernet connection and turn it into a Wireless access point. You can find details on how to do this here http://npr.me.uk/together.html . You will need to use Ethernet ( cat5e or cat6 ) cable ( or homeplugs ) rather than an adsl lead to connect the two together.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kevin2430

Brilliant, many thanks. Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

If you're going to use cable as opposed to homeplugs then have a look on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=cat+5+ethernet+cable&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m57... . You'll find it a LOT cheaper than your local high street shop.
BTW you'll also see the option there for flat cable if you want to run it under carpets.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.