Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Usenet off PN network

mbeenham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Using Usenet off PN network

I will be away for a few weeks and would just like to keep my eye on the PN support ng from my laptop.
I will be using expensive WiFi most of the time so don't want to use the online web newsreader, just download into my offline reader to browse as normal.
Is there a free news server that carries PN groups? If someone knows it will save me searching the obvious candidates. My usual free news server doesn't carry PN groups.
Cry
Having just got out of the clutches of Giganews demanding authentication I won't even ask to persue that option!
Lips_are_sealed
(Many thanks for any info)
Rearguards
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Using Usenet off PN network

At the moment, there's not really a way around this I'm afraid, other than to use the Portal Newsreader.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mbeenham
Rising Star

Thanks Bob,
I seem to have found a server that keeps PN groups without authentication so I should be OK off net for a while.
Regards,
Martin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If another server has the current PN groups, that is a hole that will be closed as soon as Bob gets on to it.
I'm pretty certain you won't be able to use it to post anyway (the posts won't appear on Giganews)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mbeenham
Rising Star

I'm not bothered about posting - just useful to keep up with announcements etc that may affect my service. After all even when not using my PN broadband line I'm still paying PN for the other services - Usenet and all...
I don't do a lot of mobile work, if I did I would use a supplier that catered for mobile users.
Hope Bob doesn't find the hole too soon...
Grin
BTW - supplementary question...
Do PN restrict ftp access to my webspace from off their network if I want to do any mods while away?
Thanks,
Martin
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Martin, if you have a subscription account then FTP access to the Homepages servers should be fine. You'll not be able to connect to your CGI space mind you.
Regarding our groups being accessible from other servers, that's more up to the provider you're using. I don't think there's anything stopping them from adding our groups (although it's not good practice). Like jelv says though, you'll not be able to post to them and have them appear on the GN servers.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chillypenguin
Grafter

You can subscribe to service status announcements here;
http://usertools.plus.net/status/email.php
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Bob
Regarding our groups being accessible from other servers, that's more up to the provider you're using. I don't think there's anything stopping them from adding our groups (although it's not good practice).

I based my comment on what you have said previously on this subject. Extracted from PUGIT 379:
First thing I've heard about that David and as far as the OP's statement's concerned, that bothers me. I spent some time getting the moderated group info to our Supernews liaison so I'm not best happy if  the groups freely available to the outside world! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mbeenham
Rising Star

I am able to pick up PN NGs from a free TP provider no problem.
Seems to me that no provision for mobile PN customers is a bit of a hole - but not too important as it is get-roundable.
Thanks all...
(Enjoying Spanish sunshine at present)
Grin