cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Thomson 582n as media server

frank39
Grafter

Using Thomson 582n as media server

I have been using the USB port on my 582 as a network file server for files(.jpg) to my iPad, Sony media player etc. - it works well.  It would also be nice to implement the uPnP media server so that I could store .mp3 and videos to display via a Sony media player to my TV. However, I can't get it to work properly - the Sony media player will not find any playable files and the Thomson content sharing page displays the message:
The content of the USB storage device cannot be profiled.
Content profiling is not possible because either the USB storage device:
Is not connected.
Has less than 250MB free space.
Is write-protected.

none of which are true, both with the uPnP media server option enabled and disabled.
It seems that there are a few possible causes for the failure to play:
1. I need to get the content profiling to work.  Possible causes that occur to me are that my HDD, an old spare IOMEGA external 250G, is for some reason not compatible or that the firmware is not yet right?
2. The Sony SMP doesn't like uPnP and insists on DLNA.
Does anybody, who perhaps has access to a Thomson manual, have any advice about content profiling. and, more generally, about the compatibility of the uPnP and DLNA standards.
Otherwise it's off to get a NAS, which would be a pity as I get about 5M/sec writing to the 582n drive and people report less than half that to a GoFlex (for example) NAS.
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Using Thomson 582n as media server

Can't find a manual online for the TG582n but I managed to find a manual for the TG787 which seems to have a similar facility
( just google tg787 manual - the link is top of the list)
Extract from the manual
4.1.3 Using UPnP AV to Share Content with Media Devices
Introduction
If you want to share your media files with media devices like IP Set-Top Boxes, you have to configure the
Thomson UPnP AV Server.
Thomson UPnP AV Server
The Thomson UPnP AV Server is a server that shares media files with devices that are connected to the same
network. These media files are stored on a USB storage device connected to the Thomson Gateway.
Procedure
Proceed as follows:
1 Enable UPnP AV on the Thomson Gateway.
2 Select your USB storage device as managed partition.
Enable UPnP AV on the Thomson Gateway
Proceed as follows:
1 Browse to the Thomson Gateway Web Interface.
2 On the Tools menu, click Content Sharing.
3 In the Navigation Bar, click Configure.
4 Under UPnP AV Media Server, click Server Enabled.
Select your USB storage device as managed partition
Proceed as follows:
1 Under List of connected disks, click the radio button next to the partition of which you want to share the
media files.
2 Click Apply

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

frank39
Grafter

Thanks for your prompt response.  I had tried that and I just repeated the process.  The message on the content sharing page is unchanged.  Hence my remarks about the HDD and the firmware version.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

As far as I can see, the drive has to be formatted FAT32. Although I would have thought that if it wasn't then i would have that that basic file sharing wouldn't have worked either...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

frank39
Grafter

If you don't format as FAT32 then the 582 won't see the disk.  The (generally very helpful) help page on the 582 makes that clear.
frank39
Grafter

I have just been trying a couple of other drives, HDD and USB flash drives - no change to the statement that the content can't be profiled.  I'm coming to the conclusion that Thomson haven't yet implemented that feature in the firmware.
frank39
Grafter

Just for the record and in case anybody else tries this, I seem to have cracked the problem (this should be in the passive, since I was only an observer of the solution).  My router did a spontaneous Kernel warm restart and then spent an hour or so analysing the files on the USB drive.  At the end of the operation, the router had created the database and my TV media streamer could find and run my mp3 and jpg files.  A  UPnP Windows MediaServer also appeared on my Home Network page
Thus: if you want to use the media server feature on the Thomson 582n, then you need to connect the drive to the USB port before booting up the router - an aspect of the set up not detailed in the 582n help pages.
ShogunPatch

Hi there
What do you mean by a warm Kernel restart?  I've just today been connected to my new PN fibre connection and am having the exact same problem as you described.  I know it should work because coincidentally the router provided by my previous ISP was the same model and I had the DLNA media server function working just fine.
After reading your solution above I've tried rebooting my router with the USB HDD plugged in but it has made no difference.  Any other ideas?
frank39
Grafter

A kernel warm restart is the log description of a router reboot, self initiated or forced from the GUI.  However, the router firmware version at the time this thread started was 8.x.x.  The current firmware is 10.x and, while you might find a USB port on the router, (AFAIK) it is not possible to access drives attached to the port.  I think the feature was sacrificed to enable ipv6 functionality and there just isn't the memory available on the router to do both.
The FTTC version of the router requires a different 10.x firmware, but the same restriction applies, or so it has been posted here. My solution has been to add a gigabit switch and to plug my media servers into that.  It is also a lot faster.
ShogunPatch

Hhmmm...  definitely not the answer I was hoping for, but very helpful nevertheless. 
Many thanks.