cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Technicolor TG582n as modem for Airport Extreme

unsubtlewoods

Using Technicolor TG582n as modem for Airport Extreme

Hey guys!
So im looking to using the supplied router by plusnet as a modem only so I can use my Airport Extreme as my main router.
Has anyone got any experience doing this? I presume I need to put the supplied router into bridge mode?
Thanks
James
4 REPLIES 4
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Using Technicolor TG582n as modem for Airport Extreme

Welcome James,
One thing you may wish to consider is whether you want to lose the availability of stats from the modem, as bridge mode will not (usually?) have an accessible IP address available. However, that depends on whether your router WAN interface can connect to the 582n LAN in the 582n standard configuration.
Note: I have neither the 582n nor the Airport Extreme, but currently run my modem/router and router connected with a LAN segment to monitor the modem/router stats.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
unsubtlewoods

Quote from: PeeGee
One thing you may wish to consider is whether you want to lose the availability of stats from the modem, as bridge mode will not (usually?) have an accessible IP address available. However, that depends on whether your router WAN interface can connect to the 582n LAN in the 582n standard configuration.

Thanks for your reply!
I'm happy enough to loose the stats if it means being able to use the Extreme as the router. My NAS, TV and xBox are connected through the Extreme (gigbit ethernet) hence why I would rather use it over the provided modem/router.
mattturner
Grafter

Hi,
The following telnet commands will set the TG582n up for this.
:ppp flush
:atm flush
:atm  phonebook flush
:atm phonebook add name pvc_Internet addr 0*38
:atm ifadd intf atm_Internet
:atm ifconfig intf atm_Internet dest pvc_Internet ulp mac encaps llc
:atm ifattach intf atm_Internet
:eth bridge ifadd intf Internet brname bridge
:eth bridge ifconfig intf Internet dest atm_Internet
:eth bridge ifconfig intf Internet wan enabled
:service system modify name DHCP-S state disabled
:system config upnp disabled
:saveall
Plug the wan port of your airport extreme into port 4 of the TG582n and this will work fine. A factory reset will put everything back to normal should anything go wrong.
Matt
apjashley1
Grafter

You can just swap the LAN cable to a wired computer instead of the airport and set a manual IP of 192.168.1.100 and you'll be able to see stats if you ever need to