cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Plusnet's fibre router as extra wifi circuit

SimonGardner

Using Plusnet's fibre router as extra wifi circuit

I've just gone to fibre and rapidly swapped out Plusnet as router as I found it inadequate (particularly for moving files between machines round on the local network).
I've attempted to press Plusnet's router into service as an extra wifi circuit (with this wifi circuit having its own separate name).
Input to this router is now an ethernet cable originating from my new Billion router and via Powerline. Everything lights up except for actual internet. My devices find the extra wifi but again no internet.
Is what I am trying to do impossible?
My Billion router is working just fine both ethernet and dual band wifi.
5 REPLIES 5
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Using Plusnet's fibre router as extra wifi circuit

Hi SimonGardner,
Thanks for getting in touch, you may find this helpful in getting the router running in bridge mode to act as a wireless access point  Wink
SimonGardner

Star!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

If I'm correct, I don't think that link is what you need. It's referring to using the TG582n as a modem only ( bridge mode ).
To connect it via Ethernet and use as a wireless access point ( I think that's what you're asking ) try this http://npr.me.uk/together.html.
Basically you need to disable DHCP on the TG582, give it an IP in the same subnet as the Billion, but out of it's DHCP range. Then connect the ethernet cable to one of its LAN ports, not the WAN port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ah, my mistake!
@SimonGardner - Apologies for the incorrect link  Embarrassed
@MisterW - Thanks for the catch and correction  Wink
SimonGardner

Quote from: MisterW
If I'm correct, I don't think that link is what you need. It's referring to using the TG582n as a modem only ( bridge mode ).
To connect it via Ethernet and use as a wireless access point ( I think that's what you're asking ) try this http://npr.me.uk/together.html.
Basically you need to disable DHCP on the TG582, give it an IP in the same subnet as the Billion, but out of it's DHCP range. Then connect the ethernet cable to one of its LAN ports, not the WAN port.

OK thanks for that. Fortunately I hadn't got very far. I'll give this a go Thursday. It would be nice to find a use for that TG582n and putting it at the top of the house and on the other side to the Billion should give me a decent spread of wifi. Nothing to do with it's wifi name being GCHQ_van_2 at all.