cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 'O2/Be' TG585v7 router with Plusnet - but one 'strange anomaly'...

Mark280
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Using 'O2/Be' TG585v7 router with Plusnet - but one 'strange anomaly'...

I've just switched 'back' to Plusnet (was with them for 6+ years until 2010) from 'Sky' (having been transferred from O2 when Sky took over O2).
I successfully managed to flash my 'O2 Wireless Box II' (Thompson TG585v7) with unbranded Be firmware, and rid it of all O2/Be connection configurations, replacing with Plusnet connection settings.
I have (eventually) managed to connect successfully - but, there was (and still is) one unresolved 'strange anomaly'...
At first the router did not appear to 'connect' (DSL sync was fine) and all web browsing failed - until, through experimentation, I discovered that disabling 'Web Browsing Interception' (was on 'Automatic') suddenly I had web browsing etc all working OK.
BUT - although I am logged on, connected, and browsing etc - the router's LED light for 'Internet' is not lit on.
I believe that the router is not 'aware' that the Internet is connected, and this is also the reason why the 'Web Browsing Interception' was inadvertently jumping in and intercepting any attempt to browse/access any remote web-server.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to why the router might not be 'aware' of the 'Internet' actually being there (and therefore why the associated LED is not lit) despite its actually being logged in (to Plusnet) connected and being able to browse etc absolutely fine?
To repeat/clarify...
I am connected - and  I am able to browse etc - but the 'Internet' LED is not lit on the router (and 'Web Browsing Interception' needs to be 'Disabled').
Any ideas?
[P.S. I'm 99% certain the LED is not defective - it has been working fine until now.]
9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Using 'O2/Be' TG585v7 router with Plusnet - but one 'strange anomaly'...

It's been a long time since I used a 585 router so I can't remember it fully, but shouldn't the light be lit but red if it doesn't believe you're online?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Did you do a factory reset after loading the Be firmware?
It's always advisable after loading new firmware, the upgrade process doesn't always install the new config file properly.
Mark280
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
It's been a long time since I used a 585 router so I can't remember it fully, but shouldn't the light be lit but red if it doesn't believe you're online?

According to the user guide, re the 'Internet LED'...
Green (solid/flashing) = Internet connectivity (no activity/activity)
Red = Internet connection setup failed
Off = No Internet connection
...I have the later 'Off' state - even though I am connected and browsing OK.
Incidentally - the router's web interface does show the router is connected e.g. the 'Connect' button changes to 'Disconnect' and the 'Uptime / Data Transferred / IP address / etc' are all there (just no LED) so I guess the router does actually 'know' that it is connected.  
Mark280
Grafter

Quote from: npr
Did you do a factory reset after loading the Be firmware?
It's always advisable after loading new firmware, the upgrade process doesn't always install the new config file properly.

The problem there, is that a 'Reset' will wipe the 'Configuration' back to a 'Be default' - and their built in Configuration Wizard does not have any UK default PPPoA option.
I got around that issue by running a Configuration Wizard from an old CD that came with a older router (Speedtouch 585v6) which offers the default UK (or custom) PPPoA configuration.
Incidentally - I did inadvertently do as 'warm reset' via the router's web interface, because I accidentally clicked on the 'Reset my Router' where I had meant to click on the 'Restart my Router' (the two options are right next to each other, and look very similar too). The 'warm reset' didn't fix the LED issue - although I had to, of course, restore the 'Config.ini' from a backup, before it could attempt to re-connect via PPPoA link.
One thought - I wonder whether anyone using a 'Plusnet TG585v7' (there must still be many thousands being used) might be able to save their router configuration 'user.ini' file and upload a copy of it somewhere where I could download it to try on my O2/Be TG585v7 ?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ah, well you could try restoring again after a hard reset to see if it makes any difference.
Mark280
Grafter

Well, I just gave it a try - but, as I expected, it didn't make any difference.
I did however take the opportunity to watch the 'Internet LED' very carefully - and I saw that it did actually 'flash on' very briefly, seemingly at the point of 'connection', but immediately went off/blank (but the connection and browsing still working absolutely fine with the LED off).
Also I just double-checked, and again confirmed, that having 'Web Browsing Interception = Automatic' still effectively intercepts and blocks all web browsing (which may, or may not, be somehow related (?) - not sure).
One thing that is conspicuous by its absence - I don't see any 'Parental Control/Web Site Filtering' in the 'Toolbox' section - which makes me wonder whether there is some consequently 'non-visible' configuration there that might be causing the blocking/interception/or attempted redirection of all browsing (when 'Interception = Automatic').
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Anotherone
Champion

Do you have a saved configuration file from when it worked when you were on O2 or Sky?
If so, it might be worth having a look through and comparing it to your current one and seeing what's missing/different. It won't be any easy task mind.
Mark280
Grafter

Yes, I have saved most of the various config' files from before and after firmware re-flashing and re-configuration (via old CD's 'Config Wizard').
I studied the earliest versus the current config files for differences - there obviously are some differences, but I don't see anything 'obvious' that might relate to the 'Internet' LED or filtering/interception.
I think I am going to leave it all as it is 'for the time being' - as it is all working perfectly well (so long as the 'Web Browsing Interception' is 'Disabled', and the 'Internet LED' being off/blank is ignored.
Perhaps once the apparent/so-called '10 day DSLAM line training period' has passed, then I may go back to experimenting with one or two ideas re the firmware/configuration - but don't want to be regularly DSL re-sync'ing during the 'line training' period. If I can't get the LED issue resolved, I'll either just live with it as it is, or I might just 'indulge myself' and pick up one of the many Plusnet TG585v8's (gaining a bit of 'n' wireless over the 585v7's b/g) regularly offered for sale on eBay, and typically going un-sold for only 99p (+ £2.80 p&p) - I'm not keen on the current 582n offering, being rather 'beige/last century'' looking (not enhanced by Plusnet slapping a garish pinky-purple logo on it).
Re 'all working well' - that is 'albeit' that I'm slightly disappointed that my Plusnet/(BT)'s down-sync/download speed is (so far) fractionally/significantly lower than both Sky's and O2's speeds were...
O2 (Be) ~ 11.7 Mbps
Sky ~ 10.6 Mbps (-9%)
Plusnet (BT) ~ 9.7 Mbps (-17%)
...can't complain too much I guess - it's all very stable (pretty much always has been), and it's only day three of Plusnet (BT) service/DSLAM line characterisation, so perhaps the sync' speed could rise a little bit yet (?) - but I'd be surprised if it rose much because the 'Down: SN Margin' has been at 6.5 ~ 6.0 right from the outset (but very clean/steady).
Anotherone
Champion

If your errors are low enough DLM will probably lower the Target SNRM to 3dB which will give you some more speed.