Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using DECT phones with BT SmartHub2

FIXED
drewstew
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Using DECT phones with BT SmartHub2

I'm using a BT Smart Hub 2 with my PlusNet broadband and recently purchased 2 Essential BT DECT handsets. These are specifically sold to operate through the Hub - no connection to the copper wire. Now, remember this is the exact model of Hub Plusnet are now using.

Both phones registered to the Hub without a problem, but I cannot make or receive calls. Message on the handset "No internet connection is available you can't make or receive calls"

So, first I go to BT.com site, where it says "If you're setting up your Digital Voice service yourself, we'll send you a text message and email to confirm your Digital Voice service is ready to go."  which indicates Plusnet need to activate something down the line to the router. Next step is to speak to Plusnet, asking them to enable my router. The advisor could not have tried to be more helpful, but DECT phones was a whole new world to her. So after a long, long call and consulting with colleagues, I was told Plusnet do not support DECT phones. But as their new router has a specific feature to support DECT, I'm not sure I've just been wrongly advised.

Has anyone managed to set up a DECT phone through their router, or do I have to put my new phones in the drawer and wait for Plusnet to catch up with the digital age?

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Using DECT phones with BT SmartHub2

PlusNet are not currently supporting Digital voice, so I'm afraid your phones will need to stay in the drawer for the time being.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drewstew
Hooked

Thank you. Yes, I've done a bit more Googling since putting up my post and can see that it's all about BT's Digital Voice service, which Plusnet have not yet adopted. I think I'm stuffed until Plusnet catch up (or I move to BT), for my further reading is that the phones I bought are strictly usable over the Hub, and won't work through a base station plugged into the socket?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@drewstew 

I have not researched these phones and their interface but would guess that they can be used with a VoIP provider such as SIPgate.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@Baldrick1  in theory, yes. However AFAIK the Smart Hub 2 voip configuration is totally locked to BT Digital voice. Whether the handsets would be compatible with other unlocked DECT bases e.g the Gigaset N300 IP, I'm not sure?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@MisterW wrote:

Whether the handsets would be compatible with other unlocked DECT bases e.g the Gigaset N300 IP, I'm not sure?

I suspect they'd probably be compatible as far as registering with the base and making calls goes, but unlikely to be able to use other features of the Gigaset system such as transferring calls between handsets, routing calls via dialling plans, etc..

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

The Digital Voice provision is at the hub layer, and needs to be activated remotely. It is a BT service that will only work on the BT line the service has been provisioned against.

In short, unless you're paying BT for your broadband/voice service, then you will not be able to use the Dect phones you have purchased.

There is no ability I'm aware of to repurpose these devices, or the hub itself, to connect to a third party SIP provider.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

drewstew
Hooked

Thank you everyone. I've been thoroughly educated todayin digital voice. Wish I'd known all this a couple odf days ago!

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): The fix has been changed to @bobpullen as per message #7.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still