cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BT equipment on ADSL

JamesDanjoux

Using BT equipment on ADSL

Hi,
Can you use BT Home Hub 3 on Plusnet's ADSL and home phone service? I am familiar with BT hub management pages and I can enter my PN username and password, Will it work? It will connect to the main socket.
James
14 REPLIES 14
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Using BT equipment on ADSL

welcome to the forums Smiley
and yes I believe you can
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Indeed you can.
Cheesy Happy HH3 user here!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi, yes it should work fine. In fact if you have a look around these forums you'll find a number of posts by homehub users.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JamesDanjoux

On ADSL not Fibre??? As I have tried a sky router and that didn't work (Netgear DG834) Probably because it was locked to sky.  What do I put in the log in credentials for Non-BT Total Broadband customers i'm assuming (MYUSERNAME)@Plus.net then my password to log into member centre?
Jamie
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Nope - it's yourusername@plusdsl.net and the password you chose on sign-up.
ETA: Yes, on ADSL - no fibre here yet. Plenty of fibre cabinets, just not active yet...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, those would be the right details, let us know how you get on with that.
PS have a look at the info I linked to on here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10477/~/user-guides-for-bt-broadband-hard
it's a common misconception that home hubs are locked down or restricted to BT only connections so it should work fine.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: JamesDanjoux
I have tried a sky router and that didn't work (Netgear DG834) Probably because it was locked to sky.

A couple of years ago I unlocked a Sky badged Netgear DG834GT,  I don't remember the process being too difficult, and there are lots of tutorials on how to do it if you Google "Unlock sky dg834".  With the non-Sky firmware it is easy to setup your Plusnet configuration.
Most people simply install the latest Netgear firmware, but I loaded the "DGteam" version that enables tweaking of your line's target noise margin which can be useful if your connection is susceptible to overnight margin fades.
Those old DG834GT were one of the best routers for holding on to it's sync, on long or noisy ADSL lines.
JamesDanjoux

It works!!! Home hub has a long time to connect to broadband if you restart it! But I am patient. I have also managed to unlock the sky router thanks to one of the members post. I just loaded the net gear firmware but its wireless G and need N.
Thanks for help guys!!
James
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
it's a common misconception that home hubs are locked down or restricted to BT only

It depends on the model. HH 2.0 and above will connect with all BT Retail ISP services, including Plusnet, but the 1.0 and 1.5 models are locked to BT residential broadband - they won't even connect to BT Business broadband.
JamesDanjoux

Never knew that! I will bear that in mind!  If PlusNet are joined with the BT forces why are we not getting BTWIFI or able to have BT Youview/Vision on plusnet? (I have a vision + box in garage)
James  
dick:quote
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Because Plusnet operates independently with it's own business model and products.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
JamesDanjoux

Quote from: Strat
Because Plusnet operates independently with it's own business model and products.

But the BT vision should still work even though PlusNet retrieve their internet from BT retail.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not sure how those boxes work, granted it'd be online but I'm not sure if you'll get the BT features with it. If you can though I'd guess you'd be able to get them on any BT Reseller's internet service?
JamesDanjoux

Quote from: Matt
Not sure how those boxes work, granted it'd be online but I'm not sure if you'll get the BT features with it. If you can though I'd guess you'd be able to get them on any BT Reseller's internet service?
You will get a pack of powerline adapters then you had to connect box up to aerial connect vision box to one powerline adapter then the other into the hub 3 then it would get services i.e channel programmes, This was compulsory not a add-on