Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet throtttled?

blackbat
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Usenet throtttled?

Is Plusnet throttling Usenet? I used to be able to max out my Usenet connection at ~60Mbps with my previous FTTC supplier, and yet now after midnight with Plusnet Usenet download speeds are fluctuating wildly at anything between 10 and 50 Mbps, usually hovering around the 15 mark. I just ran a speed test over the top of the Usenet connection and got 5ms ping with a solid 50Mbps download and 16 Mbps upload, so there's nothing wrong with my connection speed generally.
18 REPLIES 18
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Usenet throtttled?

Nope after midnight all the types are pretty much line speed. I am on unlimited fibre and can get full speed from my usenet provider anytime of day. (about 8MB/s at the mo)
blackbat
Dabbler

Sounds like maybe there's something wrong with my profile (?) then, as it was only when I switched to PN a few weeks ago that the problem started. Previously I could get full speed on Usenet all day/night.
Could Plusnet take a look for me please?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi blackbat,
I've checked over your connection and everything is set correctly. Is this only happening after midnight?

blackbat
Dabbler

Thanks for checking, Chris. This is more of a problem in the evening, although it does sometimes extend after midnight. It never used to be a problem, and as I say above whilst I see Usenet speeds all over the place a speedtest result at the same time shows that I can still download utilising my full bandwidth.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

.....are you seeing slow downs BEFORE midnight, AFTER, or BOTH? Smiley
I'm a bit confused. Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
blackbat
Dabbler

ALWAYS before midnight (from maybe 7pm), USUALLY not after midnight, but OCCASIONALLY after midnight as well (last night it was still all over the place around 00:10 but probably half an hour later had settled down to what the line can support).  Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's no capacity issues at your exchange so it shouldn't be that.
Could you create a TBB monitor so we can see if anything is going on with your line? - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106312.0.html
blackbat
Dabbler

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That looks ok, so a few things;
Which Usenet provider and client are you currently using?
How many threads are you using, have you tried increasing them?
Are you using a different router to the one you used with your previous supplier, are you able to try this one again?
I'd also suggest grabbing a Wireshark, I'd imagine everything is classified correctly but just to be on the safe side. We'd only need a short capture of a minute while you're using Usenet. - http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
blackbat
Dabbler

Astraweb with sabnzbd, six threads and now increased to eight. I've tried EU and US servers, SSL and non-SSL, various ports, and there's no real difference with any combination.
My router is a Netgear DGND3700, which is what I used with my old provider. Coincidentally I installed Wireshark a couple of days ago to try and analyse why passive ftp wasn't working when connecting from externally to a filezilla server running on my pc. It turned out that using port 21 for the initial connection wouldn't work (always got a 425 error and the point that the connection tried to go passive) but using another higher port (I chose 2100 in this case) worked perfectly. Strange...
Anyway, I'll grab a Wireshark log tonight, thanks.
blackbat
Dabbler

Hmm - the minute of Wireshark logs was ~500MB! Anyway, I can confirm Ox20 is showing in the differentiated services field for inbound Usenet traffic.
Is this a simple matter of bronze traffic being treated as a low priority compared with other traffic on my exchange? I'm not entirely sure what my traffic is being prioritised against, though. Other Plusnet customers on my exchange (which I suspect there are not a huge number of)?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Firstly prioritised against your own traffic, and then traffic across the gateway you are connected to.  I checked the gateways you were on though and we weren't see any latency/drops in the bronze queue when you were seeing issues though so it doesn't look like it's our traffic management causing it.    Does that make sense?
Could be exchange side I guess.  Need to dig further.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
blackbat
Dabbler

That does makes sense, thanks.
blackbat
Dabbler

FWIW, it's starting to speed up more consistently now.