cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet still up the spout after upgrades.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Usenet still up the spout after upgrades.

Still dead here Cry
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pnuser
Grafter

Quote from: vibes
Anybody that still cant get in should go to http://www.plus.net/suppo...em.php?intProblemId=50908 and click This problem is affecting me.

Ok jelv have done that , is it working for you yet?

Sorry this page could not be found
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Click the link in my post, not vibes quote of my post.
pnuser
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Click the link in my post, not vibes quote of my post.

Got that, thanks
But it tells me nothing more than here. ?
Still cannot get in .
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I know it says no more than here - but by associating your name it indicates how many people are affected.
bodOrange
Dabbler

Is this simply a case of the Giganews admins adding further PN IP addresses?  If so, surely it's fairly straight forward.  Aren't there a fairly limited number of contiguous IP blocks or is it not that simple?
If so, is it not a fairly simple exercise to compare the two IP lists rather than use a webform to ascertain who can and who can't access giganews.  The latter is not going to be anywhere near the true figure since many may not have attempted to use the news server.
FWIW I am still seeing error 480 - auth required and yes, I've added my username on the webpage.
Hopefully it will be sorted by tomorrow morning.  That gives them another working day to sort it out.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Evening guys,
I have added all your IPs to the problem so we can pick this up first thing tomorrow. Incidentally, most of them appear to be in the 87.xxx.xxx.xxx range and are dynamic. You might be able to work around the problem by activating a static IP via the member centre (BBYW customers).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Appoloin
Now plus net are using giganews does this mean we got binaries again.

No. Binary groups are not carried by the PlusNet servers.
Usenet now is working for me.  The only strange thing is if all the articles have been renumber Thunderbird hasn't noticed.  But I have notice there does seem to be more spam on this server.

The article numbers for Giganews were higher than the Supernews ones. Both the following reference the same post:
Xref: sn-us uk.telecom.broadband:240710
Xref: number1.nntp.dca.giganews.com uk.telecom.broadband:263606

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

vibes
Dabbler

Just to let you know I have got my newsgroups back and all is working well. Hope all those without do not have to wait much longer.
Vibes
mbeenham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I moved all my ngs but one off PN but that one has now loaded the backlog together with a new ng list.
No need to renumber as far as I can see with my client, looks clean.
I'll probably wait a bit to move others on to Giganews, had enough hassle for now.
Sad
ovale
Dabbler

I haven't added my name to the list, still asking me to authenticate, using a static IP address, plusnet account
Appoloin
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
Now plus net are using giganews does this mean we got binaries again.

No. Binary groups are not carried by the PlusNet servers.

Supernews servers did,  the headers weren't available but if you sent the message id the server would supply the article.  Unfortunately that technique isn't working giganews  Cry
waynepyrah
Grafter

How did this happen in the first place???
Surely Plusnet know their IP ranges to forward onto 3rd party suppliers
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: waynepyrah
How did this happen in the first place???
Surely Plusnet know their IP ranges to forward onto 3rd party suppliers

Yes we do. The problem stemmed partly from the fact that our Madasafish reseller account was already with Giganews. MAAF customers share some of their IPs with PlusNet users and Giganews' systems didn't accommodate for a permitted netblock to coexist across more than one reseller account Sad
Giganews finally managed to sort this out (or so we thought) but it appears that there may still be an issue with some netblocks.
Supernews servers did,  the headers weren't available but if you sent the message id the server would supply the article.  Unfortunately that technique isn't working giganews  Cry

And there's me thinking that nobody had cottoned on! Wink I'm guessing that was you on our Ellacoya graphing then? Grin
We helped mitigate the potential impact of this by restricting each thread to 64kbps.
Supernews didn't offer a strictly text only package whereas Giganews do, this is why you can't do it anymore.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TrentSC
Grafter

Until March 31st I was able to collect usenet posts on OE using plusnet.vsrv-ams.supernews.net as the specified news server.  As of 10 minutes ago, I got the following results trying alternate server names:

• sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net - asks for username & password, then "A News (NNTP error occurred: Access Denied via @ auth server"

• plusnet.vsrv-ams.supernews.net - "Could not connect to server plusnet.vsrv-ams.supernews.net; the connection was refused"

• news.plus.net - "Could not connect to server news.plus.net; the connection was refused"

• usenet.plus.com - "Failed to connect to server"

I have tried both OE on a clean installation on my laptop as well as a fresh install of Thunderbird: both have failed on all four server names.
I remain quite able to access forums.projectseven.com, news.microsoft.com and news.mozilla.org on OE, so this is clearly not a local issue.  Having checked thoroughly, there does not appear to be any reference to any PlusNet news server in any file on either my desktop or laptop.