cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet - authentication required

pittdj
Grafter

Usenet - authentication required

I am now seeing 'authentication required' errors on two usenet clients on my Mac and one client on RISC OS using PlusNet's servers.
Is anyone else?
4 REPLIES 4
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Usenet - authentication required

It's working fine for me, not requesting authentication and allowing me to get the full list of groups.
Is your newsgroup client set up to send authentication and are you currently on a Plusnet connection?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pittdj
Grafter

Two of the clients were already set up and had been working. The new client, Unison, was correctly set with the username and password fields blank.
I have rebooted my router and it is working now! I am not sure whether that makes any sense.
Thanks for responding.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

You'll get authentication errors if you exceed the maximum allowed number of simultaneous connections from the same IP address. Are all these machines connected to the same router? I think the connection limit is currently set to around six threads.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pittdj
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
You'll get authentication errors if you exceed the maximum allowed number of simultaneous connections from the same IP address. Are all these machines connected to the same router? I think the connection limit is currently set to around six threads.

That's it, Pan on Linux defaults to four connections and I now think the maximum is three, so once Pan is running nothing else is going to get a look in. With both Pan and Unison set to one each both clients can run concurrently, not that that is what i want to do in the longer term I was just looking for the best usenet client.
Many thanks for the pointer.