cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet access very slow

StephenHynds

Usenet access very slow

I'm a recent convert to Plus.Net based on the competitive pricing and decent reviews. It's only been a few days so far but it's been fine barring a couple of router reboots which I'm attributing to the first 10 days of the connection etc.
However - I've just tried to download something from usenet and the speeds are dreadful. Are there issues with throttling of certain services at different times of the day? I'm aware some ISPs do it, but after coming from Zen and getting 500K+ on a usenet download to getting 15k on Plus I think I'll be looking for my money back as that is not "broadband" by anyones definition.
7 REPLIES 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Usenet access very slow

I think welcome to the forums, but yes PN dont like binary usenet, the actual caps are on here http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm note these are the max figures and at busy times can be a lot less
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you look at pro, that is not capped at all, but you dont get as much bandwidth in peak times
tobykim
Grafter

I doubt if you could get your money back as it's displayed on the front page in the adverts under read more and there is a section there for usenet speeds
StephenHynds

There's traffic shaping and then there's taking the link:censored. I had read the speed guides but was very surprised at how harshly implemented it was as I was getting below what that paged had said.
I'm happy to restrict my own downloading - which is fairly infrequent - to the non-restricted hours anyway but I wasn't happy with the poor information about it.
adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed as per link:rules
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Presumably you mean the info here and here? What do you think isn't clear? Is there anything we could add to make it clearer?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

win2003
Grafter

Perhaps that info should go on the same page as the list of features and in a more friendly graphical format.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The speeds are quoted in Kb not KB as your client will no doubt display, so you'd need to divide those figures by 8
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'