cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Speeds

tomxlisa
Grafter

Usenet Speeds

Got a slight issue, getting good speeds on http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ but slower than normal speeds using usenet, what could this be, could this be plusnet slowing me down, even though its gone 12am, as i see from http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php the priority for it is bronze, but never had a problem with the speeds after 12 until now?.
7 REPLIES 7
tomxlisa
Grafter

Re: Usenet Speeds

Just tested torrents and got full speed on that. Roll_eyes
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think you may be looking too soon after midnight. Loads of extra traffic kicks in at midnight as people take advantage of the free overnight. You should find speeds increase over the next hour as the downloads complete and more capacity comes free. Did you recheck the Usenet speed at around the time you found the torrents were giving full speed?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tomxlisa
Grafter

Yeah i did, i checked both torrent and usenet one after the other, i think i found a solution though, i just used more connections and it then maxed out my line, the thing is i've been using 3 connections for ages now and it has been maxing out my line, but not last night for some reason. Undecided
prichardson
Grafter

Depending on who you take your Usenet service from, most recommend a minimum of 8 threads as part of their diagnostics on slow speeds.
Due to the bi-directional nature of Usenet (many requests for smaller chunks down a single connection), multiple threads are recommended. I would actually recommend more than three by default.
tomxlisa
Grafter

I am using 6 now and that seems to have done the trick, how many do you normally use, if you use usenet that is?.
prichardson
Grafter

I originally only used 4 myself. However I have a speed restricted Usenet account, so maxing the connection was never on the cards or my intention. This did give me variable speeds and could not consistently reach the products (Usenet product, not DSL) limit.
After attempting to raise a support ticket with my Usenet provider, their support troubleshooter made the recommendation of a minimum of 8 threads. I now consistently reach the products intended limit.
I do now have other Usenet troubles, though I have linked some of them to my router, the rest linked to the supplier (consistent reports of my issues within their support forums). So currently looking to change supplier anyway.
tomxlisa
Grafter

Who do you use now?.