Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Speed

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Usenet Speed

For the next few days I'm still on BBYW2 and from around 12 to 2pm when throttling kicked I was getting full line speed today - I did have to swap gateways to get on the best one. finished up on pcl-ag04. which seemed to be the fastest. I can't remember which gateway I started on but couldn't even get a connection on that one, they seem to be very unbalanced still
pierre_pierre
Grafter

still on the limited plan - BBYW3

But your not downloading 20+Gb a day
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'm not sure I could achieve 20GBytes in one day.
Not with this connection.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am only allowed 10Gb a month during the day, and go to sleep at night Cool
LordFox
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I am only allowed 10Gb a month during the day, and go to sleep at night Cool

Yeah, I go to sleep at night as well, or at least sometimes - that's why I can't play the gateway lottery until I get a good connection. I'm snoring. I just leave the thing set up ready for the night/morning 12 hours.
Trouble is, it's getting increasingly harder to set things up because usenet is unusable in the evening, when I'm here to do it. All I need is to get the headers in my groups and I generally can't even do that much.
It's particularly irritating because, when I was on the 40GB monthly limit  BBYW?, with 8 hours unmetered, I got reasonable speed at any time of day. I could refresh the headers and set things up for my scheduler to kick in at midnight for the heavy stuff. I would then get 8 hours of line speed downloads. Now, on a package that looks much better for me on paper (like I say, I can easily live with the throttle limits in the afternoon/evening, if I can get that high), it's actually often worse to the point of making it impractical for me to use.
Anyway, here's this morning's table. I've included a few extra hours this time as well, to show the rates before and after the unthrottled period. Remember that the server also does other things (like being an exchange server) so the incoming data isn't just usenet. I can only measure total data. My table therefore makes things look better than they are, particularly when the throttle kicks in and usenet data starts grinding to a halt. That's why there's not much point me showing the whole 24 hour period, until I get a logger that will just measure traffic for one application. I'll do that if I get time to find one.

As you can see, there are still (as always!) plenty or periods where I get nowhere near the rate I should.
The rate is very erratic when it starts dropping. One minute I will be getting a usable amount of data, the next - nothing. Threads start timing out and when I'm downloading headers, that means I have to start again - if I'm sat there watching that is, which I shouldn't have to any more than I should have to continually play the gateway lottery to get a usable connection. If I'm downloading bodies, the continually dieing threads eventually cause sporadic file corruption. So I have to download those files again.
At the moment the rate is very erratic, going from zero to a few kBps. Not reaching anywhere near the low, throttled limit.
LordFox
Rising Star

Here's yesterday evening's and today's so far. It's been a little better - I got nearly nine hours of line speed overnight, and so far today I seem to be getting close to the throttle.
Be nice if it lasts...
yesterday evening was disastrous though. I again had to stop my newsreader altogether because of the file corruption issue when it's so slow. I scheduled it to restart at midnight, like the good old days, hence the low readings from 10pm to midnight.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Are we allowed to ask what you want 20GBytes of feed for, each & every day? Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

We can ask.............. Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
LordFox
Rising Star

On a good day I can get over 30GB...  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

LordFox
Rising Star

He he, actually they last about 6-8 weeks, although I prefer the Seagate 1.5TB ones from Scan.
LordFox
Rising Star

Here's yesterday evening's and today's. Again I got nearly nine hours of line speed overnight, but the rest is very poor. I've not bothered with pre-19:00 because the server was up to other stuff. Ignore the first line of the table for that reason.
From 9pm to 11pm was completely unusable, and 11-12am was ridiculous! I mean, 3% of what I should have got??? Come on PN!
This afternoon and evening have been a none-starter. 2kBps for several hours... what a waste of time!
I'm not happy.
I invite comments from PN folks as to what they think of this pathetically low data rate...

pierre_pierre
Grafter

You want my thoughts, most are lucky to get one tenth of what you are boasting about
Me I have a good synch and profile 
[Moderator's note by Thomas (Be3G): personal attack towards LordFox removed.]
Be3G
Grafter

Moderator's note: I have edited out the argument that was brewing so that the thread can remain factual. Personal attacks towards members will not be tolerated - please keep such thoughts to oneself or at least discuss them privately rather than blurting them out in public.
Mand
Grafter

If I'm honest I'm not particularly up to speed with the performance of lower priority traffic these last few days, although it's clear from the detail you've provided that the performance is far from perfect. I'll catch up with the networks guys tomorrow and find out the latest.
One thing to point out is that the speeds on the expected speeds pages are maximums, and you will see lower speeds if the network is particularly busy.
Does swapping gateway make much difference?