cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usenet Limited Speed Ater 6pm For Unlimited!

shalom2010
Grafter

Usenet Limited Speed Ater 6pm For Unlimited!

Not sure if this is related to the current latency & maintenance issues (http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial)
currently ongoing, my usenet speed has dropped from over 56 Mbps to 1 Mbps!
Outside of Usenet speeds are normal so it's not related to gateways or my connection. What is going on?
16 REPLIES 16
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Usenet Limited Speed Ater 6pm For Unlimited!

Have you done a speed test?  What gateway are you on?
Is anything else affected?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
shalom2010
Grafter

Yes I have done a speedtest - full speed on everything apart from Usenet. Usenet has been running full speed at all times during the day then started crawling to 1mb at 6pm! I've tried several gateways currently on pcl-ag01.
Do you think the network problems are related? Can you provide any solutions?
Thanks
shalom2010
Grafter

Kelly as per my query on Usenet speed dropping I'm now on ptw-ag03, usenet is still crawling at 1mbps but speedtest give me over 56Mbps
shalom2010
Grafter

For those interested in what happened here.
During the day I have been downloading at line speed on Usenet (for me that's 57.5 Mbps). However last night my speed only on Usenet dropped to 1 Mbps. I tried various ports, all the same and tried swapping gateways, all the same. This morning 7am Usenet is back to line speed.
The night before, e.g. Wednesday evening everything was slow varying between 1 Mbps to 10 Mbps (e.g. not confined to Usenet)
I am on Fibre Unlimited so, all ports should be at line speed 24/7, as I understand it.
I believe this all relates to the current network issues, which are still be investigated. Hopefully this will sorted out soon.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I would drop an email to your usenet provider saying you are getting speed drops. I get full speed all the time (at least the times I pay for) and come 23:00 it shoots to line speed (I am on an overnight account)
Another user was having similar issues and his provider was at fault.
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks Hairy Biker - I'm afraid in this case you're not correct. I always have line speed on my Usenet provider & there were no reported problems with them last night. I have been speaking to Plusnet about this issue
as it's the first time it happened last night and is, in my opinion related to to the current network issues.
ricmelia
Grafter

Oddly I was seeing the exact opposite. From Saturady - Wednesday my connection slowed from 70Mb to 2Mb at peak time (switched gateways on Weds night and it's been ok since). However, usenet speed remained at line speed throughout. Glad I don't have to try and solve this one... Smiley
shalom2010
Grafter

Really quite odd. Plus the fact that this morning at 7am I'm back to line speed with Usenet etc. Last night was the first time my Usenet dropped from 57.5 Mbps to a maximum of 1Mbps for a few hours. Yet a speed test said I was getting line speed. There were a few other reports of P2P connections dropping as well. I'll see what happens tonight!
Bright
Grafter

Does it start at exactly the same time every evening?
shalom2010
Grafter

@Bright "Last night was the first time my Usenet dropped from 57.5 Mbps to a maximum of 1Mbps for a few hours" (on Usenet only)"
Bright
Grafter

Oops, sorry shalom2010, I missed that rather important bit of info  Embarrassed
Hope it doesn't happen again this evening, then!
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks Bright. (I also checked with the Usenet provider, apart from me there were no issues on speed last night).
Bjn
Grafter

my router reconnected last weekend to gateway
You are currently connected to gateway pcl-ag08.  This is located in City Lifeline House.
Download speed in the evening have been bad going down to 2.6Mb on Wednesday (results from SamKnows whitebox). Speeds start to drop between 4pm and 11pm. Before last reconnect speeds steady 24/7 at 51Mb since I joined in November,

Rebooted router this morning and now on gateway
You are currently connected to gateway pcl-ag05. This is located in City Lifeline House.
I'll check whitebox in morning to see what speeds are like tonight, but there is a problem somewhere on Plusnet network with curtain gateways as others are having problems. Big thing is if your IP drops at BT end then it does not always go backup even if line stable for  days after a reboot. Plusnet have a problem that needs sorted as speed should be equal on any gateway as we are at present on a gateway lottery for speed.

shalom2010
Grafter

@Bjn - this thread is only about reduced speed on Usenet. As you have not mentioned Usenet have a look at this thread which I think you may find is more relevant
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.0.html