cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless Speeds

robert1935
Grafter

Useless Speeds

I am absolutely pig sick of this useless ISP, after 2 months of good speeds of 3.5+meg its now dropped to just over 1meg. just when I need decent speeds.
My new year resolution is to kick this  &%*&^%O*&^*%O  isp into touch ASAP
14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Useless Speeds

...and transfer your issues to another ISP maybe Undecided I would hope not.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
richjenn13
Dabbler

I've just got a Download speed of 0.365 Mb on test!
Never get over 1.0 Mb
Pretty depressing!
Bah!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Bob,
You were advised back here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132541.msg1163193.html#msg1163193 - that your line is (based on the modem stats) very long (4.3km) and at the time, the line speed you were seeing was way above expectations.  The line speed needed to support TV streaming is unlikely to be attained consistently over your line.
CRT was asked on that thread to share your CLT results, we are still waiting for that information.
I very much doubt that any isp can fulfil your (or is it your wife's?) wants on that line using ADSL technology.
Can you please post your current stats as per before / detailed in the speed issues thread.

@Mods please give consideration to merging these two threads for continuity.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@robert1935
ALL ISP's who deliver broadband over a normal phone line are constrained by the same things:
1. Speeds you get are principally restricted by the distance from the exchange
2. Reliability is determined by the quality of the line between you and the exchange
3. Only OpenReach work on the lines
To get better broadband your options are:
1. Change to someone delivering broadband NOT over your phone line (in reality that means Virgin Media cable)
2. If your cabinet is near you and the cabinet is a long way from the exchange switching to FTTC when it becomes available will see a drastic improvement
3. Move to somewhere nearer to the exchange
Just changing to another ISP delivering broadband over your phone line might get a quicker solution to the current issue (but more probably will extend the time it takes), but it won't solve the fundamental issue as they will still be constrained by the same factors.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
picbits
Rising Star

Maybe it is time for a change Robert - if you have Virgin Media cabled in your area, move to them. Otherwise consider TalkTalk as they use different kit in the exchange to Plusnet or if you're feeling flush AAISP as they will make every effort to squeeze every last byte out of your connection.
Please post back though and let us know how you get on.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

We've seen no evidence that the equipment in the exchange is an issue so moving to TalkTalk isn't going to help.
If a service over an OpenReach maintained line is the only option AAISP is probably the best option: http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-trial.html
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The 582n will probably benefit from its firmware being upgraded to 10.2.2.B if it's currently on an 8.4 firmware. Plusnet can do that remotely.
Looking back at some previous ADSL stats, it will also likely benefit from the ADSL mode being set to ADSL2. It's one of these long lines that doesn't appear to automatically switch from ADSL2+ to ADSL2. Unfortunately that requires using telnet - http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#modulation unless Plusnet can also do that remotely.
picbits
Rising Star

I think the bigger (long term) issue is that Robert isn't happy with his connection, hasn't been for quite a long time now and any fixes Plusnet supply appear to only temporarily solve the issue.
By moving to another supplier, either the issues will be resolved and Robert can pin the blame on PN or they will continue (or be worse) and Robert can then accept that his line is going to have issues and no amount of grouching as his ISP will improve matters.
I suggested TalkTalk as they use different equipment in many exchanges so that *could* put a different perspective on the fault and I've seen customers with speed issues move over and have no further problems. I hate suggesting TT as they are one of the most incompetent companies I've dealt with for customer support.
AAISP on the other hand will bend over backwards (and are paid as such to do so) to try and get the most stable / fastest connection.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

AAISP will also supply TalkTalk Wholesale lines so they could have it covered both ways!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

What ever other solutions might be available, the right short term approach is to engage in the fault identification and resolution processes, which in the past have been started but not concluded.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The Crosshands exchange does indeed have TakTalk and AOL as LLU providers that do not use BT Wholesale equipment.  But also unfortunately Fibre isn't coming until late next year, if indeed it comes to your road.
However Robert, the fundamental problem is not the ISP, it has something to do with the periodic interference that causes a reduction in speed, until a line reset is performed. Whilst you just continue to blame this useless ISP as you phrase it, then you will get nowhere other than another line reset.
As I recall your longish thread Just half a meg more from over 18 months ago, your rather unconventional internal wiring was not helping matters. At that time I did contemplate calling in to try and sort it out for you as I was passing through Crosshands near that time, but unfortunately you were going abroad for a few weeks.
At the beginning of this year you had an issue with a new phone that didn't ring, this again suggests that it's something to do with the way your internal wiring and setup is organised. Whatever was done to resolve that may have compromised you broadband stability.
Without your cooperation then, we can't help you get this resolved once and for all. If you merely wish to post here to rant and rave, then good luck to you, as already mentioned, it will get you at best another line reset until the next time.
As I recall from previously, apart from the unconventional wiring then, some changes have since taken place and whether that will have potentially improved or worsened the situation, I don't know at this point. Nor did we ever get to the bottom of why your connection was supposedly stable when you were with BT Retail, but not stable now. The last thread seemed to stop mid-issue, although it was at a point where the information we wanted would really only confirm some things we already know.
There are things we can do and suggest to try and improve the stability of your connection, but that requires your co-operation and feedback. The first of which was suggested earlier in this thread by another poster, however it was also followed by some rather complicated technical suggestions which will often just put off a lot of people with no real technical understanding of Broadband and modem/routers. So my first suggestion is for anyone else considering posting, please keep your suggestions simple and one thing at a time, with an adequate non-technical explanation of what it will achieve - and it should be directly related to improving stability.
So Robert, if you want to progress this, a good starting point would be to see where we are at present with some basic information -
When you go the the modem/router address http://192.168.1.254 - at the top of the page under "Technicolor Gateway" it should tell you the Software Release of the Firmware version, if you could post that (don't post an image showing the MAC address or serial number however) and also say whether your model has a USB socket on the side of it.
Also can you post the TG582n Full DSL stats?
And also your Current Line speed (Login required) (& don't post your phone number)
picbits
Rising Star

Like I said - having read through the previous posts and issues by Robert, maybe time for change of ISP for him.
I suspect the £3-£4 profit per month Plusnet have made from him is far outweighed by the time spent attempting to get the line sorted and we're still almost back to square one.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Dom, this interference issue whatever it is is still going to disrupt Streaming whoever the ISP, even when DLM management is different, and even if the drop in speed is relatively short lived, it's still a disruption Roll_eyes
picbits
Rising Star

Indeed but until Robert either gets to the bottom of this with PN he'll be blaming his ISP (PN) for all the issues.
He has a few options, persevere with PN and try and get it sorted, move to another ISP and hope they can sort it or move to another ISP and find they can't sort it then realise that PN aren't a "&%*&^%O*&^*%O  isp "
It could be an issue with the kit at the exchange - unlikely but we've been here before when a customer who has had persistent issues has moved to TT and the problems have gone.