Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useless Broadband Speed

gw13
Dabbler

Useless Broadband Speed

Hello

Could someone advise re my plummeting broadband speed before I request an engineer please?

I should have had a speed around 17 Mbps since the service started back in July 2018.

The speed has rarely been above 11 -13 Mbps and since I returned from holiday in early october was around 8mbps and often dropping out.

Then seemed to be stable at around 3mbps for something like 10days or so and then back up to around 9mbps, then dropping out out regulary.

The last 24 hours though has dropped to 1mbps or less and I can only just browse and that is it.

Ive plugged router into test socket and connected to my computer with a wire, there is no change to the speed. Changed microfilter also still no change.

I have removed the telephone from the connection altogether just the router connected.

There has been some line noise on the phone prior to removal sometimes bad and sometimes just a small amount but generally it clears, but the broadband speed problem persists. I have tried a quiet line test - again sometimes some noise others quiet.

Is there any other advice as to how I should proceed forward with this please. I have not contacted Plusnet yet just want to make sure I have tried everything before I ring.

Are plusnet able to see the speeds I am receiving or not?

Many Thanks for any advice.

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Useless Broadband Speed

If you are detecting noise on your line you should report this to whoever supplies your phone service which may or may not be Plusnet. The official quiet line test is ring 17070 and select option 2. Unless you have a quiet phone line you will never get decent broadband speed.

There's a link to the Plusnet phone troubleshooter in here which might help https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gw13
Dabbler

Hello

Thanks for your speedy reply.

My phone service is with plusnet.

I have already used option 2 on 17070 and there is sometimes noise but sometimes not. However even with noise the broadband was useable and now its really not, even if the line is quiet.

So reporting intermittant noise on the line is my only option at this time?

I have read through the help link you have posted but will take another look in case there is anything I have missed.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

As @Baldrick1 has explained, intermittent noise on the phone line can degrade the broadband performance even when the noise isn't present because the Dynamic Line Management will probably have intervened to try to stabilise the connection, which almost inevitably results in a slower speed.

Once these interventions are applied they take some time to be removed, and are unlikely to removed at all until the line fault is corrected.

gw13
Dabbler

Hello

Thanks I think I understand  - the system is intervening to try and give me a steady broadband?

Ive followed the link and tried to test the phone line using the online system, hower the result is always I'm sorry theres been a problem after the internet and router has reconnected, not sure i understand the test option if it always disconnects the broadband line.

I will report the noise issue on Monday I'm guessing not much point doing so on Saturday evening.

Many Thanks for your input also.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @gw13, sorry to hear you're having connection issues. Checking from this side it looks like what @JayG mentioned looks to be happening as the automated line management looks to have adjusted the speeds of your connection to help retain the connection and stop the dropping. How the drops have been looking and test results can be found below:

image1542619986379

WBC 576K - 1M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, 448 Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

*Uncapping and leaving interleaving on INT1)*

Loop Loss: 9.3 19.5
SNR Margin: 31.0 27.3
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 6201636 75582611
Speed: 444 1150

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 17024 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 13619
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 6975 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 4650
Indicative Line Quality: R Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 13951

Your phone line looks to be testing fine however if the noise you hear is intermittent then it could just not be flaring up at this moment. Moving forwards I'd recommend that you leave the connection in the test socket and monitor over the next 24-48 hours to see if the drops persist. I have uncapped the speeds this side so if the drops persist in this set up we'd go down the route of raising a fault and more than likely getting a engineer out to investigate further.

Please let us know how it goes.

gw13
Dabbler

Hello Ben

Many Thanks for taking the time to check my line and uncapping the speed for now.

I can confirm I have checked the phone line for noise early this morning and currently no noise.

I will do as you suggest now as the router is connected into the test socket and monitor for the next 48 hours. The speed currently is around 5 -7 Mbps.

I will update with information on how the connection fares then.

Very grateful for your intervention and help. Thanks Smiley 

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @gw13, you're very welcome. Let us know how it goes over the next day or 2 Smiley

gw13
Dabbler

Hello @BD

Just wanted to update you re my broadband speed.

It is currently testing between 8 - 12 Mbps typically 9-11

As far as I have noticed there doesnt seem to have been any dropouts at least not when I've been online since your reset.

I dont know if you can see your end how the connection is faring now.

Ive checked the phone line for noise regularly and generally it has been quiet, just once with a very quiet hiss.

Re the chart you posted, having looked at the details of the markers (I presume they are dropouts) I wondered why there were so many in the early hours of Tuesday and Friday when the broadband would not be in use.

Going forward would you recommend I now remove from the test socket and reinstate the normal line connection to the master box. If so will this the mean the supply speed will be re- adjusted because the router will be disconnected and reconnected ? I just need to be aware so any speed changes can be noted.

Thanks Smiley

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @gw13,

The connection is certainly looking more stable since the 19th:

It's certainly worth plugging back in to the master socket in the standard way, however if the drops reoccur, this would point towards a problem with either the internal wiring or the faceplate of the socket.

In regards to speeds, I wouldn't be too concerned about the occasional drop as this shouldn't trigger DLM to restrict speeds.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
gw13
Dabbler

Hello

Thanks for checking and the update.

The master socket is very old well over 20 years to my knowledge so could be a possibility. Is it possible to have that renewed if the problems reoccur?

The only wiring is the router wire to the socket and the router and wire is new,  only months old, and the drop outs continued with only this set up, so doesnt seem likely to be wiring.

I will change the set up to  back to the master socket and see how it goes.

Many Thanks Smiley

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

If we were to send a engineer out they would most likely update the master socket to the latest version

Generally speaking though there would be a charge for this if this wasn't the cause of the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
gw13
Dabbler

Hello

Thanks for your response re the master socket.

I want to make clear I am not requesting a replacement master socket at this time.

I wouldn't want the socket replaced unnecessarily, unless it was the cause of the problems.

I understand that the master socket and all wiring from the socket to the exchange is the responsibility of the supplier, and I would not expect to pay a charge if any of this is faulty and causing the broadband problem.

I will leave any fault finding to a qualified engineer should one need to be called at a later date, if the problems reoccur..

Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@gw13

If you have the old type of master socket where the front section is retained by two screws you may wish to consider replacing the front section with a filtered faceplate such as one of these. https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-75114-VDSL2-Microfilter-Faceplate/dp/B014E4FIJK. This will mean that you no longer have to use a dangly filter, which looks neater and eliminates the risk, assuming that you have no extension wiring, that there is a fault on your side of the master socket

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gw13
Dabbler

@Baldrick1

Hello

Thanks for this information.

Yes I do have an old style screw on  master socket so definately worth considering trying one of these, I will see how the connection fares for now and take a closer look at how this will fit in with my set up currently. Much appreciated.Smiley