cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of more than one static IP Address from my allocated four?

steveo

Use of more than one static IP Address from my allocated four?

Hi Guys,
I have had a static IP Address since being connected to force 9 with BT Home Highway many years ago. I am now on FTTC and enjoy 38MB download speeds. I have allocated to me a range of IP Addresses which is normal for static IP Address allocations. Within the range of IP Addresses there is a spare, I have a need to use this spare along side the normal allocated address so that in fact I have two seperate connections to the internet. I have been informed by Force 9 Technical Support that the spare IP Address is available for my use. I am writing this post as I have tried to use the spare IP Address and its not working. I have setup a router with the same settings as the main one but have just entered the spare IP Address in the router connection setting. It will not connect. I have connected both routers to the BT VDL box input port and its not allowing the second IP Addressed router to connect. I have also removed the sticky lable from the BT VDL box which was covering the second LAN port and I have currently attached the second router to this LAN port but still no connection.
Is there anyone out there that has done this?
If so can you help please?
Thanks.
Steveo
2 REPLIES 2
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Use of more than one static IP Address from my allocated four?

Having more than 1 static IP is not typical for a static IP set-up, it has always been an option that you have to ask for.
The 2nd port on the VDSL modem is not enabled and connecting 2 routers to the VDSL modem does not work either as the connection is PPPoE not straight Ethernet, and the VDSL is not a router.
You need a router that supports multiple static IPs, unfortunately none of the routers that plusnet supply support this. You will need to purchase another router like the Draytek Vigor 2920/2930 or even go for one that supports VDSL out of the box (although this is not actually allowed by BT but others have done this). These are business class routers so not cheap. I think some of the Billion routers can do this as well but I have no experience of those.
Try searching the forums as this topic has come up before where others router suggestions may be found.
steveo

Re: Use of more than one static IP Address from my allocated four?

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the VDSL box is just a sort of gateway and as such does not have a static IP Address but that its a pass through device and the static IP Address is allocated to your router behind the VDSL box in you house. So therefore should be able to attach via a hub several routers that are allocated staic IP Adresses as I understand it. I did not state that I was also connecting a 3COM 3CREVF100-73 Gigabit VPN Firewall that has two WAN ports also two LAN/DMZ ports and four LAN only ports so should be able to use this device to connect and use both addresses, its just putting that theory into practice thats got me stumped for now. I am a qualifieed server engineer and have done small bits of networking in my working life but this is quite complecated so I need some direction. Thats why I have posted. I am also researching on the web for answers as well but thought that someone here must want or is doing what I want to achieve.
Thanks
Steveo