Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Plusenet Router or Home Hub 3?

Wavemachine
Dabbler

Use Plusenet Router or Home Hub 3?

Hi all,
I am due to be switched to Plusnet on friday and have received my router, however I already have a BT Homehub 3 and am wodering which router is better, the one advantage the TG582n that I can see is that it has 4 x gigabit ethernet ports over the Home Hub 3 single one however I do have a 4 x 1Gigabit switch plugged into that already so it is not an issue. I have a combination of ethernet and wireless devices such as an IPad, Nintendo DS and a couple of Laptops and also a WD My Cloud NAS drive connected to the router via the switch.
Which would be the better router of the two to use? I am concerned about performance and wireless range. I do understand I need to reset the home hub to factory defaults to switch off WiFi hotspots and that I will need to change the username and password.
Thanks
Dave
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Use Plusenet Router or Home Hub 3?

Hi Dave,
Welcome to PlusNet and the forums.
If the HH3 is not locked to BT, you should be able to just simply put your PlusNet user credentials into it and use as is.  If the HH3 is offering BT Openzone wifi hotspots these will need to be turned off.  Your own wifi network can be called whatever you want... in many ways there are a number of merits leaving your set up as is and just change the user credentials.
One of the TG582n LAN ports is used to connect to the BT modem, so depending on how many you need, you will not have 4.
Some people find the WiFi on the TG582n a bit iffy - personally I have never had any issue with it.

HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The 582n does not have any gigabit ethernet ports, it only has 100Mbit ethernet ports, although that shouldn't really matter, since you should still have gigabit speeds between devices connected to the gigabit switch.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The TG582n does not have Gigabit ethernet.
Wavemachine
Dabbler

Thankyou for the replies and the welcome, I think I will try and get the Home Hub working in the first instance as that setup works pretty well for me. I must have misread the specs regarding ethernet speeds but as ejs pointed out I do have the switch so that shouldn't matter.
Thanks again