Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

OwldChap
Grafter

Re: Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

@notmyname Thank You For Your Interest.

Engineer just been AM Not at the appointed time slot PM.

5th time this type of fault with these symptoms has been investigated 4 previous occasions with BT FTTC Openreach will have all the records. Neighbour has problems with noise on the line from time to time.

Tested pair seemed to be ok. Errors he thought were in reason. The Engineer explained the SNR was "swinging about and went as low as -4.3 during his tests I said that I had notice this also when monitoring. He got on his mobile to the back office and spoke to some one to make some change to the settings, I have been told SNR has been set between 6 to 12 so should not drop below 6 not above 12 that ones shot down present 5.8 downstream 12.2 upstream. No explanation as to what would cause this swing in SNR. So Looks like the fix has not worked back to square one any excuse will do for old folk I suppose.

PlusNet could you explain please?

High SNRHigh SNR

I May Old But I’m No Fool (Except For Moving Here)
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @OwldChap, I'm sorry the engineer turned up earlier than expected. 

I have modified some settings this side and this should help stop the SNR from dropping... are the drops still happening when the phone rings?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
OwldChap
Grafter

Thank You @LaurenB For Your Response

What settings have you had to modify? Upstream SNR very high now, interleave increased upstream.

Why would you have to modify settings on the line, what fault caused this malfunction to happen.

Most interested to know.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @OwldChap 

@LaurenB changed the parameters for the MTBE (mean time between errors). 

Looks like you still have a DCN issue however, this is your most recent Visual RADIUS readout; 

We will contact our supplier and ask them what they wish to do next in an attempt to rectify this. 

Kind Regards,

MoR 

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank You @MasterOfReality for your response.

Just had 2 dropout in quick successions for no reason as far as I can see. Been a mess right from start. SNR still seems to be jumping around. Have had to switch router of as it was just going round in circles and would not reconnect. Previous visit of engineer when with BT Fibre Diagnosed Underground fault Openreach will have all the records for the 4 visit over last year or so. Do not know what to do now getting me down now. Line Attenuation seems high for 2.7km cable length from exchange.

What About @runhare post message 22 on https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Loss-of-sync-when-phone-is-answered/td-p/1528880/page/2.  

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I don't know if your dropouts @OwldChap are due to the  same reason as I reported , though some of the symptoms appear to be similar, such as drops when the phone rings. 

In the case I was commenting on the circumstances were

• Drop in the line sync when an incoming call was received even when no handset was connected to the line.
  • a very long ADSL  line with poor quality and high SNR and slow speeds 
  • Known incompatiblity in specific exchange equipment - system x exchange and older DSLAM equipment 

A ring signal generated a high number of FEC errors which caused line sync to drop.. I was told it was fixed by making adjustments to SNR limits at the exchange to the DSLAM. 

this seems different to your issue @OwldChap as yours is showing many other problems and intermittent drops. I'd be looking at line quality,  interference as a potential cause of errors. 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @OwldChap, the line is looking more stable today as as of yet, hasn't dropped.

It looks like to progress with this we are going to need to book another engineer visit for you though, I've updated the fault ticket.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
OwldChap
Grafter

Thank You Very Much @runhare for your Informative and concise post, most interesting.

OwldChap
Grafter

@LaurenB Thank you for your response.

The Downstream SNR is still high.

The Line Attenuation reported as 45 is high for a cable length to the exchange of 2.7km should be nearer 39.

What are the reasons for that?

Openreach will have the records from the 4 recent previous visits 3 when the line was BT FTTC (Cabinet 16 in Tweed Street 0.65km cable length from the property.The Engineers come test the line and go nothing more than tinkering with the problem seems to happen. On A previous visit the engineer diagnosed an underground fault nothing done. The pair has been changed I am told 3 times, fault still returns. I have been told by more than one Engineer that Cabinet 16 and this area a renowned for poor infrastructure. Please could you let me know what do Openreach propose to do this time during the Engineers visit that will not have been done in the 4 previous visits. Openreach know that the problem lies between the NTE5C MK4 master socket and street cabinet same symptoms with FTTC and now ADSL. The Openreach records for the Engineers visit arranged by BT will of course be on the lines previous telephone number as PlusNet enforced a change to the telephone number to allow a change from FTTC with BT to ADSL with Plusnet. 

OwldChap
Grafter

@LaurenB

A further drop in connection for no apparent reason 18:10 13/09/2018.

Still high 10.4 SNR downstream 

Screen Shot 09-13-18 at 06.15 PM.jpg

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @OwldChap,

I've taken a look into this one today and as per your request discussed the issue with our suppliers. I've left a response to the open fault ticket to reflect this, which can be viewed here. In regards to the drop that has recently occurred, this is most likely related to testing carried out on your line during the chat with our suppliers and otherwise I can see the line has been stable for the last 24 hours.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you @TheMightyAJ for your response.

Why would line testing disrupt the broadband did the test any give indication as to the cause of the problem?

Edit 21:15

Test have definitely had an effect, blitzed broadband.

SNR swing about again.

Had to switch router off after broadband dropped, unable to regain synchronisations whist my wife was using the phone. As experience previously with BT FTTC and now with PlusNet ADSL recurrent problem with no fix Openreach seem to think every thing test OK.

Phone and Broadband plugged into test socket via in line micro filter switched router back on waited for router to be running and broadband regained. Picked up handset of telephone which caused instantly the broadband connection to be dropped. (Video Taken) Similar videos shown to visiting engineers no interest in what was shown to them.

SNR Swing About This Has Supposed to Have Been CorrectedSNR Swing About This Has Supposed to Have Been Corrected 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @OwldChap

Thanks for coming back to us. I can see that my colleague Alex has updated your fault ticket here and we're just awaiting information from yourself.

If you could let us know when you've responded, that would be great.

Best wishes,

Dave

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you @RandallFlagg for your response.

Another event this morning 06:01:17, 14 Sep. Downstream SNR gone from a high of 13 now down to 6.4?Screen Shot 09-14-18 at 11.40 AM.jpg

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@OwldChap

So we can move this forward for you can you update the ticket for us following Alex's response yesterday. Thanks in advance.