Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

OwldChap
Grafter

When I was with BT Fibre for 12 months on three occasions a fault arose that when the phone was used the call would disrupt the broadband service. The phone call using a corded phone would cause the broadband to disconnect the Smart Hub 6 would revert to a flashing orange light meaning the hub was trying to reconnect to the broadband even when plugged into the test socket of the NTE5C MK4 master socket. The problem has returned last night the phone was used and during the duration of the phone call the broadband connection was lost the router could not connect the broadband. Once the phone was replaced then router managed to regain the broadband connection.

Today the corded phone and broadband router are connected via an inline micro filter If the corded phone hand set is lifted it causes a disruption to the broadband service. I also tried the 17070 option 2 quite line test which resulted in the loss of broadband for about 45minutes even though there was no noise on the line.

The router was repeatedly trying to reconnect but was unsuccessful on each cycle, so I switched the router off. I changed the router, RJ11 cable and In line micro filter and plugged into the test socket the same result no broadband connection could be achieved. I switched this this router off and reverted to the original router and set up still plugged into the test socket and waited for half an hour then switched the router back on after the third cycle a broadband was achieved. The problem persist as just lifting the hand set wait a while and replace the hand set causes disruption to the broadband. If the hand set is lifted then and wait for the audio warning tone to replace the hand set then this causes the broadband to drop out.Last Nigh Drop Due To Phone UseLast Nigh Drop Due To Phone Use

Just Lifting Hand SetJust Lifting Hand Set

Silent Line TestSilent Line Test

Audio Warning Tone To Replace Hand SetAudio Warning Tone To Replace Hand Set

I May Old But I’m No Fool (Except For Moving Here)
144 REPLIES 144
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Use Of Phone Disrupts Broadband

Hi @OwldChap

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing phone issues.

I've tested the line from this side and there are no external faults present. It sounds like you've covered the majority of the bases already, but if you could raise a phone fault here, we'll take a look this in more depth for you

Best wishes,

Dave

OwldChap
Grafter

Thank you @RandallFlagg for your response.

I would have thought this to be a broadband fault not a phone fault.

The drop out occur with two different corded phones.

The Broadband dropped out again but for no apparent reason at 18:55 and the router would not

resynchronise so had to be turned off.

Drop Out 18:55 Plusnet?Drop Out 18:55 Plusnet?

Turned back on at 20:00 and the router manage to synchronise.

I have been to the link and the only option seems to be to use the phone, which will cause the broadband to drop out. Is this what PlusNet really advise I have to do.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you changed the microfilter?

How many extensions do you have? Do they all have microfilters? Have you tried disconnecting them all and replacing one at a time if the fault persists?

Do you have a filtered master socket - assuming no from what you have said - might be time to get one.

HTH

OwldChap
Grafter

Hello Mustrum.

Thank you for your interest.

As you have mentioned before you do not like me repeating what I have posted earlier in a thread, I think you will find the answers in my initial post.

OwldChap
Grafter

Post Deleted

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Ah, OK mate sorry, just trying to help. Glad You Got Rid Of The Caps On Every Word 😉

Engineer time maybe ?

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @OwldChap

From experience, these tend to be phone related. Several handsets and microfilters help to rule out the physical equipment but not the connect to/from the exchange.

If you could raise the fault through the troubleshooting link I've provided I'll ask our suppliers to investigate this further and provide a better idea of where we stand.

Best wishes,

Dave

OwldChap
Grafter

Hello @RandallFlagg

Another drop in connection purely by lifting the hand set and listening to some rustling noise on the line.

A couple of minutes after another drop in connection the router would not re synchronise so had to be turned off. After 10  to 15 minutes turned the router back on but no synchronisation turned the router of again, tried this 3 times during one of these I was logged into the router and momentarily the stats came up I noted that the SNR downstream was at -4.2 which is probably why the synchronisation would not hold as you can see the synchronisation is all over the place.Two Drops This MorningTwo Drops This Morning

Erratic SNRErratic SNR

Will try the fault report form but it would not work last night.

Tried where you pointed me to the form is no working fill in the form with name, telephone number. other and type text into box. click on check line  all that comes up is blank page with 403 in top left hand corner. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

I'd recommend raising a broadband fault to as the this kind of problem needs to be investigated by a broadband engineer.

If you can raise the fault to us at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here when you've completed it we'll be happy to pick it up.

(One of the questions the troubleshooter will ask you to check for noise on the line, please select the option that the line is clear as we'd need to progress this as a broadband fault).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OwldChap
Grafter

Thank Your @Gandalf for your response.

The fault has been raised at the place you pointed to.

One of the questions was what happens to the DSL light when the connection drops the options were stays on / flashes, in fact it goes out. 

The test seem to have caused another drop at 14:50 so had to reboot router again to get broadband back.2018-09-06-14.57.55-SNRMargin.jpg

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks.

I've updated your fault ticket for you which you can view and reply to from Here.

Let us know over here once you've updated it and we'll pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OwldChap
Grafter

@Gandalf Thanyou for your response.

Have entered three date for engineers visit.

Random drops now all the time.

The router just goes round in circles goes through boot up process up to DSL light coming on then before internet light comes on all lights go out quick red flash on power light another circle starts. The router has to be switched off and wait 15 minutes to regain broadband.

High SNR downstream on two routers.Screen Shot 09-08-18 at 11.02 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 09-09-18 at 10.58 AM.jpg

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @OwldChap

Thanks for providing that information and for updating your availability.

I can see that one of my colleagues has just picked up your fault ticket and will be in touch shortly to confirm the next steps.

Best wishes,

Dave

notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This smells like a HR fault to me.  I believe the phone line route (faulting wise) is the best option here.