cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage limit

jwvivyan

Usage limit

Hi,
I am in a student house of 4 people, and when we moved in we decided to go for the plusnet extra broadband option because of it's value - it was the cheapest broadband and phone line option available in my area at the time. For the first four months of our contract (three of them being free because of the deal) we had major issues with speed, which rendered our so called 'broadband' absolutely useless when two people, let alone four, were using it. Being final year students this was a major issue as we need the internet to access resources such as on-line journals etc.. Despite ongoing support from plusnet (this was often slow, correspondence lasted over two months as they would often require further line tests each time a change was made to the line) the problem was only remedied once we joined up to the FTTC trial.
Since signing up to FTTC we have had no issues with the speed, but our issue is now with the small 60GB usage limit - I can see that the limit will never get used when the speed you have will never allow you to get anywhere near the usage limit. However, with 4 people in the house who are constantly using the internet, whether it be to access documents on the internet, or to have a break by watching skyplayer or BBC iPlayer or a bit of gaming, there is no chance of ever staying under the usage limit, as demonstrated by our bill last month which was nearly £100 and already this month we are getting close to the download limit. How, in anyone's eyes this represents good value I do not know - offering unlimited usage when the customer is receiving up to 40MB per second broadband would provide good value, because with the increased speed they are obviously going to use the internet more.
What can plusnet do to make me a happy customer? Some sort of compensation for the three months free 'broadband' which was never received due to completely useless broadband at the time would be nice to help towards the extra costs of having to switch FTTC so that broadband in my house actually works. Another simple response would be to offer unlimited usage with the FTTC trials and offer unlimited usage when the FTTC product is launched in April which is priced above the 'extra' broadband package.
I look forward to what you guys thinks I should do and a response from plusnet.
Thanks,
James
2 REPLIES 2
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Usage limit

Hi jwvivyan,
I can only really suggest scheduling any downloads that you do during the free period between midnight-8am. Our packages are designed to be cost effective and extra usage is charged for that reason. Although you had speed problems during your first 3 months with us, we investigated this thoroughly at the time and found it to be something out of our control. I think (usage aside) that £11.49 per month for a fibre product is fantastic value and I'm not sure what more we could do to make you a happy customer.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Usage limit

jwvivyan
Plusnet is a business not a charity. As one of the trialists I suspect you are already getting your connection for less than it actually costs Plusnet.
Have you you thought of having an extra line? Would 2 x 60GB meet your needs.
I suggest you also install NetworX on all your PCs which would enable you to monitor how much each of you is using. If you split the extra charges according to the amount each of you uses over 15GB (60GB / 4) I bet you'd find you were making more intelligent use of the free overnight usage and your peak time usage would drop dramatically.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)