Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage doubled without good reason

hamilton36
Grafter

Usage doubled without good reason

Hi,
My normal usage used to run at 15 - 20 MB per day and it has recently jumped to 30 - 50 MB, yet I have not changed my "habits"!  My main use is for emails and one or two websites each day, like Windows Live and FT.com.  I am not aware of any unsolicited downloads.  When I am not actually using the computer it is in Standby during the day and turned off at night.
Can any of you experts have a look at my usage and  give me some pointers, please?
Many thanks,
Alex
16 REPLIES 16
scootie
Grafter

Re: Usage doubled without good reason

you could use somthing like net limiter or simlar software bandwidth monitor and see what apps using what bandwidth. bear in mind thoe that the usage from software monitors will not match PN vmbu due to overheads added to data packets as it leave's your router. so software monitors will report slightly lower if usage is amounts you looking at or alot lower if your daily usage is in the gb's
also if you have had the same ip address for some time this could be due due to increased background noise ect
the incrase isnt a great deal to be honest with daily average usage at 20mb it would be realy easy to look at a few extra websites ect and clock that extra usage up
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Has the ft site had a make over lately?
Reason I ask is that the telegraph one did and now has small video ads which use up your bandwidth and with the small amounts you use would be noticeable.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Are you using Wireless or wired? Make sure  your wireless is secure and then turn it off if you don't use it.
hamilton36
Grafter

You may have put your finger on it!  The usage increased since I had a new wireless router after my old one broke down.  I just had a check on my usage since midnight. All I did was to collect emails and that was just one  2 liner text message and the monitor showed 17MB. The only site I accessed was this one!!!
How do I ensure that my router is secure?
Thanks,
Alex
adie:quote
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
Has the ft site had a make over lately?
Reason I ask is that the telegraph one did and now has small video ads which use up your bandwidth and with the small amounts you use would be noticeable.

Yes, it has and so has Windows Live. They both have animated graphics, but I specially avoid videos.  Is there a way to turn the graphics off and will that save anything?
Thanks,
Alex
Anotherone
Champion

Make sure you are using WPA2 encryption, and that you use a passphrase not a dictionary word, ie. something that's got a number or 2 in the middle of it. Also change the router login default password for logging into the router (that's not your plusnet one for logging into the network).
If you post back your make/model of router, an expert on that one may be able to advise further. If no joy, have a look on the Wireless Broadband board.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The encryption key is not something that needs to be remembered or typed in repeatedly so the stronger the key the better.
The following website has a facility for generating long pseudo-random keys.
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
scootie
Grafter

for wpa2 pass i use complete random letters and numbers between 20-30 charcters long.
yes it takes hackers a day or 2  of constant sniffing of wpa to crack a dictonary word password but why not protect against that small chance of  hacking hobbyist in your street.
i would think adewioo came up with the right answer to this one. i would of thought is it was weak wireless protection the usage would be up into the gb
Anotherone
Champion

Depends, someone may be just sniffing before they do something, just to see if they've been spotted.
Or even hacking for personal data!
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Make sure you are using WPA2 encryption, and that you use a passphrase not a dictionary word, ie. something that's got a number or 2 in the middle of it. Also change the router login default password for logging into the router (that's not your plusnet one for logging into the network).
If you post back your make/model of router, an expert on that one may be able to advise further. If no joy, have a look on the Wireless Broadband board.

I am using D-Link DSL 2640D router connected to the computer with Internet cable.  So, I have disabled Wireless  and changed the router password.  Let us hope that does the trick.
Thanks,
Alex
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Depends, someone may be just sniffing before they do something, just to see if they've been spotted.
Or even hacking for personal data!

yeah surrpose if they crack wep or wpa to gain entry then there not after your bandwidth
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: hamilton36
Is there a way to turn the graphics off and will that save anything?

You could use the Firefox browser and install the AdblockPlus and NoScript add ons.
AdBlockPlus does what it says on the tin and allows you to block adverts, videos and the like.
NoScript allows you to control which sites can run scripts, java, flash and suchlike and protects against cross site scripting and click jacking.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox
http://adblockplus.org/en/
http://noscript.net/
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: cjags
You could use the Firefox browser and install the AdblockPlus and NoScript add ons.
AdBlockPlus does what it says on the tin and allows you to block adverts, videos and the like.
NoScript allows you to control which sites can run scripts, java, flash and suchlike and protects against cross site scripting and click jacking.

I already have AdBlockPlus and I will add NoScript. Thank you.  My main O/S is Linux/Ubuntu, but I also use Windows SP occasionally and I think that the problem is in Windows. I went into Windows after midnight last night and Acrobat updated itself. Wow!! 79MB in less than a minute and that is more than my daily cap.  So, all automatic updates have been turned off.
Alex
Not applicable

Unless you are very attached to the bloated and constantly updating Adobe Reader an excellent alternative is Foxit - very small, fast and free.