cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage, but not me using it!

Moncrieffe500
Grafter

Usage, but not me using it!

hi guys, i left my home on wednesday afternoon, and only returned today (friday), and noticed my usage, now i wasnt home on thursday, no one was in my flat, its only me who stays here, but managed to use more usage that i did when i was home on the wednesday!  i know its not alot, but what could it be?? 
before i left on wednesday i turned my wireless off.
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Usage, but not me using it!

On Thursday you used a fraction of the amount you used on Wednesday, the units are different. On Weds you used 100+MB whereas on Thurs you used 100+KB.
1000KB = 1MB so you can see that it was a very small amount and perfectly normal for background traffic to your router.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Moncrieffe500
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
On Thursday you used a fraction of the amount you used on Wednesday, the units are different. On Weds you used 100+MB whereas on Thurs you used 100+KB.
1000KB = 1MB so you can see that it was a very small amount and perfectly normal for background traffic to your router.

ahh didnt see the mb to kb lol, so its just normal traffic going through the router?
matt_2k34
Grafter

so its just normal traffic going through the router?

Consider it your router saying "HELLO! I'm still here!"
Just because your being neglectful to your internet connection and not using it 24/7  Roll_eyes
<1MB per day is about right for "background" traffic