cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage breakdown history

Nemo2000
Grafter

Usage breakdown history

How can I view usage breakdowns for older billing periods?
Checking back over older usage stats, there appear to be occasional spikes of usage during off-peak hours, despite the fact that my router is always turned off at night (yes, I know the arguments about keeping it on <g>). I'm curious to find out what this phantom traffic might be.
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Usage breakdown history

Hi there,
I should be able to get a usage breakdown for you, what period would you like this info for?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Nemo2000
Grafter

Thanks. Shall we say the last 3 billing periods before 20th June?
Stegs

Hi,
I've also noticed 'phantom' overnight usage. It is shown as between about 65-70KB each night, even when the router is switched off. I can't swear to it, but I'm sure this has only started happening within the last few weeks.
Any idea what might be going on?
Thanks,
Stegs.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Nemo2000
Sorry should have mentioned that I can only generate a day at a time so forgive me but I'm not going go generate 90+ breakdowns for you Smiley are there any days in particular during that period you think would be worth drilling into?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Nemo2000
Grafter

In essence, we need to look at any day where allegedly there has been download activity during the off-peak period. But without the detailed breakdown, I can't tell which are those days - all I get is a summary total for the whole billing period, not day-by-day.
Current billing period only started yesterday, so nothing to go on at the moment.
Nemo2000
Grafter

Well now......
The usage breakdown for yesterday (2nd June) records approx 469KB of download during off-peak hours, despite the fact that my router was definitely OFF during the night (approx 10pm - 9am).
Furthermore the beakdown lists a total of about 27KB of 'broadband phone calls" during both peak and off-peak periods for the current billing period, yet I never use the internet for phone calls.
There seems to be something odd going on here..... Huh
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I presume you mean the 22nd? I've taken a look and can see that your router was switched on at 8:54am.
Regarding the 'broadband phonecalls' it is a very minimal amount and some traffic may have not been identified correctly.
As it's a very small amount of traffic it's not something I'm too concerned about, if it's bothering you though, I'd make sure when you disconnect that you login to your router and click disconnect to make sure that the connection is closed cleanly. If you can do it that way then we can take a look in a few days to see if there's any difference.
Nemo2000
Grafter

Ooops, sorry about the date - a 'sticky 2' on the keyboard and didn't re-read the message carefully enough before sending  Shocked
Fortunately I am on an 'umlimited' package, but if my package had a download limit then I would be worried about a system that counts downloaded usage which occurs at a time when the router is off! I notice also now that my 'usage this month' total for off-peak is about double the actual amount shown in the 'by type' breakdown, as the former includes about 200K 'other' which the latter doesn't list!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I see your point, I'd be interested to see if anything does happen from now on though. If you could disconnect via the router as mentioned we can monitor this.
Mayfly
All Star

The recorded usage metering was one of the things I was concerned about when I spoke to CS over the w/e.
Last month my usage shows 75Gb yet I have never ever used more than 9Gb per month before. I even started a thread about the amount of used when I was away over night,  I had left my router on. It was suggested that someone was piggy backing on my connection, but at the time [5 days until my new billing period] I had only used half the amount I normally do. So basically in 5 days PN say I used over 70 Gb.
I  too am unlimited so financially it doesn't bother me. When CS checked it for me he confirmed that I hadn't used more than about 400Kb in any one day so the total amount shown on the usage chart is waaaayyyy out.
He said he had made a note about it.
Nemo2000
Grafter

Well, it has happened again. Usage breakdown records 724KB off-peak dowloads yesterday Sat July 6th, even though the router had been switched off overnight as usual.
Curiously, from the data so far available it only seems to happen at weekends....