cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent Help Needed. New Modem/Router Setup for Vulnerable Person.

monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

Urgent Help Needed. New Modem/Router Setup for Vulnerable Person.

Hello.

I'll keep a very long story short unless more info in required.

Vulnerable Person has phone/BB with plusnet but has not used the BB for years. no hardware at all in the home. the online account shows they have a BB connection and pay for it.

I have purchased a new modem/router but I am unsure how I will connect it up.

I will have the new modem, my phone (with mobile net access) and a tablet (only BB wireless connection once working). can I connect up without needed to hardwire to a PC initially?

I am thinking I will need the router IP to access the settings then the plusnet details which I am assuming are  username@plusdsl.net and the password used to login to see account details online? (not forum login details).

is there likely to be another set of login details for the router?. the wireless access password will be with new router too?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s once I have it all setup I see there is a "offer" on the account but I cant seem to take advantage of it which I suspect is because im looking at it using a different landline number to the actual account.

thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Urgent Help Needed. New Modem/Router Setup for Vulnerable Person.

and a tablet (only BB wireless connection once working). can I connect up without needed to hardwire to a PC initially?

@monkeyexpressPF  It's easier with a wired connection, but you ought to be able to do it from a tablet. The router should have the default wireless ssid and password shown on it ( or a card ) somewhere ? Once connected to the wireless, you should be able to access the router via its default ip and configure the username and password for the pppoe connection.

It might be useful if you could tell us what make/model router it is then we could probably give more detailed instructions

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

TP-Link TD-W8961N 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router

lol. didnt expect copy/paste to show it like that.....

its a simple BB connection not fibre so hope the router is ok.  looking at the listing again on amazon there is a pdf user guide that mentions how to connect via wireless which tallies with your mention of "ssid" stuff.

so with everything in the box and the plusnet username and PW i should have all i need to get the job done?

thank you.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@monkeyexpressPF  you can download the Quick Installation guide from here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/td-w8961n/v3/ ( select the correct version according to what vn of hardware youve got )

Follow the guide , I'm fairly sure that there will be an option for PlusNet in the select ISP box. That should configure most of the information, just leaving you to add the username and password. In case it doesnt configure all the other settings, you can find details of them here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

HTH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@monkeyexpressPF we don't support 3rd party routers, but it should be easy enough to set up though Smiley

To configure a third party router you will need to consult your manufacturer or your manual to gain access to your router and find the necessary pages.

<b>Encapsulation Type:</b> PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
<b>Username:</b> Username@plusdsl.net
<b>Password:</b> Your account password

<b>Multiplexing Method:</b> VC-MUX
<b>VPI:</b> 0
<b>VCI:</b> 38

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team