cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream speed halved after house move

petejigsaw
Grafter

Upstream speed halved after house move

I have a curiosity question relating to upstream speeds.
I've just moved house (about the same distance from the exchange) and had the Plusnet connection moved as well.  At my previous property, my router was synching rock steady at 8128kbps downstream and 832kpbs upstream.
However, having moved, I am now only getting an upstream sync of only 448kbps.  Having hunted around, I see that the BT product set is:

• BT IPStream Max  50:1 288kbps - 8128kbps    64kbps - 448kbps
    BT IPStream Max Premium  20:1288kbps - 8128kbps 64kbps - 832kbps
    BT DataStream Max ISP set 288kbps - 8128kbps 64kbps - 448kbps
    BT DataStream Max Premium  ISP set 288kbps - 8128kbps 64kbps - 832kbps

Now, my question for Plusnet is why have I seen my upstream rate lowered simply by moving house?  Angry 
Was I on an incorrect product before, or have I been 'downgraded' simply for deining to move house?
This would not be an issue for many people, but I maintain some community organisation websites from home, plus a personal family photo site, so the higher upload speeds I was getting before I moved house were really beneficial.
Any comments greatfully received.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
James
Grafter

Re: Upstream speed halved after house move

Hi Pete,
Long and short is that you should not have been on the Max Premium product at your old house, as you are on a residential service with us.
We offer Max Premium on Business services because we as the ISP are charged more for offering this by BT.  It's possible that you were moved onto the IPStrwam Office 2000 product as part of our 2meg upgrades in 2005 and were just upgraded to an equivalent product.
petejigsaw
Grafter

Thanks James
Answers my question.  I guess I have to decide if the extra cost of upgrading my connection is worth it, given that I don't charge for the websites I look after as I have a day job!
Smiley
petejigsaw
Grafter

Hey PJ
Thanks for the reply.  I think I'll pass on the possible offer, as I think that I wouldn't use it enough to justify the extra expense, given that it doesn't benefit me as a web broswing user.
Thanks again