Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream Speed Dropping

FIXED
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Upstream Speed Dropping

Upstream SNRM being a flatline probably indicates that the modem isn't bothering to update that value. I have used another totally different modem, which also didn't bother to update any of the upstream DSL stats, it wasn't faulty.

Likewise, the upstream SNR per tone data is not available. Perhaps it's a limitation of this modem's firmware, maybe in combination of it operating on ADSL1 and with the type of equipment at the other end of the line.

Because the upstream ADSL frequencies are closer what's used for the telephone, I'd definitely check the telephone is working properly, with no noise, no problems making or receiving calls.

Caerefail
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Lots to update you all on - just typing up notes now so will upload later. To answer a couple of points, router is new and is ok (later data proves that); none of the three routers I've used have ever shown any upstream SNRM variation and the two Billions show SNRM per tone on the upstream as zero, as ejs says, maybe a limitation of the firmware. Telephone is fine in respect of noise, calls can be made and received ok. More soon Wink

Caerefail
Rising Star

Okay, I've uploaded my notes on today's developments, and recent SNRM graphs. It looks as if either the phone extension cord wasn't quite making contact properly (although as the master socket is in the loft and this extension cord has been in use for 12 months and is only in the loft so couldn't be easily caught, this doesn't seem likely) or there is an intermittent fault on the line and perhaps pushing current through the line making calls has cleared it, temporarily.

I can only guess that the massive SNRM fluctuations were part of Plusnet's issues?!

Mind you, this still doesn't explain why my upstream speed has started varying when the line resets.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The SNRM fluctuations would be nothing to do with any issues Plusnet may currently have. They could have been caused by almost anything, work in your cabinet, work at your exchange, electrical equipment operated nearby, thunderstorms.

DSLAM/MSAN type: BDCM - you should definitely get Plusnet to switch you to ADSL2+.

alanalpha
Dabbler

as i said b4 getting disconnects when it rains (weather) is a sign that the faceplate needs to be replaced

my house has 2 lines and both needed faceplate replacements about 3 years ago when every time it rained internet went to *insert 4 letter word here*  noise on the line only happened when it rained and making calls sometimes but not always disconnected us

get the faceplate checked by an engineer from BT

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

"master socket in the loft" OMG how did it get up there, that's a terrible environment for a telephone connector and given your problems in high humidity a very likely contributor to your problems, add to that you then have an "extension cord" that is almost certainly cheap and nasty flat type you are staring your issues in the face!! Start by getting your property properly wired with the correct cabling by a professional, as BT own everything up to and including the master socket you will need them via a plusnet ticket to sort it out

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Caerefail
Rising Star

Extension cord is only on the phone during this test period, the router is connected by a proper shielded cable because we sorted this out last year. The loft is actually quite warm and dry as it's set up as a 'room' for storage. Up until the bank holiday weekend we have had a stable connection and from the tests done I've no reason to believe that it is the internal wiring causing problems - house is just over 20 years old and the phone circuit was wired when it was built, with extension sockets in most rooms. Bell wire has been removed but the router has been connected to the master for the last year anyway and none of the extensions are used. In any case, using the test socket should eliminate the internal wiring shouldn't it? Apart from the horrendous stats on the 9th, the SNRM has been much the same since I started monitoring, irrespective of using the test socket.

oddbodd
Hooked

I've been having similar sorts of problems since last week.

Line drops frequently, requiring router reboot. Line usually comes back OK, but also have upstream issues. Currently a feeble 64kbps!... but even if I manage to reboot something better, it'll decay again. This started a couple of days ago.

I believe it's all to do with the [BT] planned maintenance which started on the 7th September.

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=maintenance&ispservice_id=adsldial

I also think it's to do with the new BT servers, which seem to be problematic, so patience may be required. From what I read, there are a lot of people affected. I'm not sure that there's much Plusnet can do about it, though.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

The planned BT maintenance may affect the connection between your exchange and Plusnet, but it does not affect the connection over your telephone line between your exchange and your modem/router. I'm not sure what you are referring to by "the new BT servers", but if you're referring to "Plusnet's new network", again, that won't be affecting the ADSL line rate.

oddbodd
Hooked

What I mean is that it's nothing to do with the local line, so all the fiddling about with routers and settings won't make any difference.

My line had dropped again this morning... router rebooted... and I'm up to a whopping 160kbps upstream!

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Issues with the speed of your local line will definitely not be caused by the BT planned maintenance in the announcement.

I also tend to think there's probably something wrong or at least odd about your router if it needs rebooting to restore the connection.

Caerefail
Rising Star

Okay, been quiet for a few days as waiting to see what happened following an engineer visit - but, guess what, no change. The fault was reported to Plusnet on 4 September, received a phone call on 13th to arrange an engineer visit, engineer came on 14th. Now, monitoring the line during that period has shown a definite pattern of the line drops and errors worsening during wet/damp weather. Of course, on Wednesday 14th the weather was dry, warm and sunny so it was no surprise that the engineer couldn't find any fault! Still waiting for Plusnet to update the ticket! However, the latest development is that we have found out that the phone line crackles like mad during a period when the line is erroring (if there's any such word?) and making or receiving a phone call at these times results in an immediate line drop - but not at any other time. Also, the upstream speed seems to be affected more than down!

Any Plusnet guys around to let me know the current position on ticket 133056511? Also, does this now become a phone fault?

Caerefail
Rising Star

Fix

Just to update this post. I contacted Plusnet via chat on 20th September. According to the CSA, the engineer believed he had taken action to resolve the fault! However, the CSA was very good and could see that the fault had not been resolved. The line actually dropped during the chat session but I received an email following up the session and advising that another engineer visit had been arranged, giving three time options and advising that I needed to be contacted to confirm, which I was. However, immediately following the chat session the line dropped and resynced 14 times in a 20 minute period - and guess what? It's been fine since!!!!

The engineer came out yesterday morning (and he knew his stuff), tested the line, which tested fine, waited a bit to see if anything happened, then left, saying that as everything seemed ok, he didn't want to mess with anything, in case. I agreed with him - on the evidence available, there was absolutely nothing he could do - one thing I mentioned to him though was that we had noticed a 'bottle joint' in the line feeding the village had been hanging down and someone had tied it up in the right position - not an OR engineer though as it was tied with rope.

Anyway, all that remains now is to monitor the line for a while and hope it stays as it is Smiley - fingers crossed. Obviously, something has changed but what?

No real complaints about Plusnet or OR this time, except that I wish Plusnet would update the ticket properly after an engineer visit to save having to get in touch via chat and suffer the 20 min wait.

oddbodd
Hooked

My problems seem to have been resolved by a lightning strike!

The line has been stable for the last 8 days, since a lightning strike at 02:00 in the morning. The router was rebooting when I got up and checked. Later, I found that a network card in my old backup PC was dead, [which was on standby] and the speakers attached to it packed up as well.

I had reported the problem to Plusnet, but they closed the ticket as everything seemed OK!

I've been with Plusnet for years, bit I'm thinking of going to SKY now anyway, as there's a no brainer deal on offer at the moment.