Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream SNR

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Upstream SNR

The fault's still in hand with the diagnostics team at the moment, though we'll keep checking for you. I suspect the drop was most likely caused by work being done.
MikeyM
Grafter

ok thanks for the update.
MikeyM
Grafter

Line dropped again today, sadly my target SNR is now 15db, so another hike of 3db....Not the result or outcome I was looking or indeed hoping for!!
Any update from BT, apart from that they have raised the target SNR on the DLM to try and make the line stable. I was kind of hoping that they may actually have looked into the reason why the SNR was spiking and causing the line to drop, but maybe they are and the DLM had just raised the target SNR automatically.
Any update appreciated....
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi MikeyM,
I've had a look at the fault and your connection logs, and since the SNR raise and interleaving being applied you've had an ongoing connection of around 15 hours (albeit at a reduced speed).
Basically you're now syncing at around 2272kb/s which is above the fault threshold rate set on your line (1817kb/s) and given the length of your current connection with no drops it's pretty much certain that your fault will be cleared back with a 'no fault found' code.
It might be worth trying to drop the SNR manually yourself - now the line is interleaved it may well hold at a lower SNR (12 or 9dB would be worth a go I'd suggest).
Let us know how you get on and we'll see where we go from there.
MikeyM
Grafter

Ok, I did not know interleaving had been switched on. I had it on to lower ping times for online gaming....
Did you request it on?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, it'll have been done as part of the fault process but it does look to have made a major difference to the line stability.
MikeyM
Grafter

Matt,
I was told previously that turning on interleaving would reduce my sync speed by about 800.
I have to say that I have only noticed it change by about 100, if even that much.
Does this depend on the particular line?
Have to say that the line does appear more stable and I have forced down the SNR so that I can get a decent IP profile.
I did receive a call from you guys today saying that the fault could be raised to engineer visit level, so that has been arranged.
Cheers
Michael.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It will vary according to the line, yes. I'm not sure what the engineer will find when he does come out given that the line is now a lot more stable but if someone's there to explain what's going on that will help.
I'm glad things are moving on for you.
MikeyM
Grafter

I have managed to get sync speed at 4100, and the connection seems solid. The SNR spikes seem to be less frequent and that connection has been holding for some time now, and all through the night when it would normally drop.
The BT IP profile will catch up, maybe today, and give me the 3.5MB profile I want.
It looks like interleaving was the answer, I guess the slight rise in pings time is worth it, as I do not really play online gaming as much these days.
What you think?
May as well raise my query with the engineer.
Michael.