cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream SNR

MikeyM
Grafter

Upstream SNR

I have spent a fair amount of time trying to get to the bottom of my problem as I have visited it many tmes before with little success but am determined this time to get to the bottom of it.
Prior to plusnet I was with SKY and got 3800 connection with snr of 5db and never really had any issues.
The problem I have is that I have a high target SNR on the DLM system , I am tweaking my SNR in order to get a 3MB IP Profile but cannot use the router I was supplied with as my snyc speed is too low and I cannot adjust the SNR on it.
Now to get this speed I need to sync above 3424 sync, for me to do this I only need to take 3db off the SNR, so can connect at 9db and get the 3MB IP profile I want.
I have been using router stats to keep and eye on things, I have had a few disconnections today.
From what I can see the downstream SNR is fairly constant, but the upstream is a bit manic to say the least.
I have my upstream uncapped but am wondering now whether this is causing me some issues.
Would appreciate any help or adivce as I believe now that it may be my upstream SNR which is causing the connection to drop.
I have also done some research this weekend on my master socket which to me looked a bit weird and I thought it was non BT. I have found out that it is a BT master socket with a BT faceplate on it which was not something I had seen before. I do not need a fliter as the faceplate has two ports on it, one for the phone and one for the router. The router is less than a metre from the socket, as is this phone, which is the only phone I have. There are no other sockets in the house.
Some screen shots below.
Router stats

Downstream

Upstream

Router stats

23 REPLIES 23
MikeyM
Grafter

Re: Upstream SNR

Just had some pretty nasty spikes on both up and down, the connection did not drop though.
Downstream

Upstream
MikeyM
Grafter

I think I may well get my upstream capped and see if that helps, how do I do that?
Mand
Grafter

Capping the upstream won't help.
Activating interleaving would, but that would take 800k off your speed.
MikeyM
Grafter

Losing 800k would not be the plan I would want!!  Grin
Would it be possible to raise a fault with BT to see why I am getting these spikes on the SNR, which in turn is making my connection drop and then taking my target SNR go up to the 12db target it is at present?
Is my logic correct, or am I missing something?
Thanks for all your help.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mikey,
It depends how often the line is dropping - if it's more than daily we stand a fair chance, but I very much doubt we'd find out what the actual cause was. You could run through the tests on the faults wizard (http://faults.plus.net) and see what difference that makes?
MikeyM
Grafter

Hi Matt,
I have previously ran all the tests and no fault has been found.
My connection drops a few times each day.
I have a feeling that bt may tell me that is because I am tweaking my snr, but the point I would make is that it is these snr spikes that are on my graph which has set the target snr so high in the first place. The line goes along very happy apart from when it spikes, I changed my target snr so that I was only taking off 3db, but the line still drops.
Maybe bt will tell me that it is because it is a long line but I would like to ask them the question.  Hope you can help
Cheers
Michael.
MikeyM
Grafter

Matt,
Any update?
Ta
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mikey,
I'm afraid there's no fault tickets open for me to update for you - if you raise one, I'll happily test the line and let you know what I get.
MikeyM
Grafter

Thanks mate, ticket open , number 33317008
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mikey,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I've raised this for you now, and will keep you posted regarding updates.
MikeyM
Grafter

Thanks Matt.
I had to reboot my rotuer a couple of times last night, not sure if this is related to the tests being done.
Appreciate all your help.
Michael.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Could well have been - either way the fault is still in hand with our suppliers, I've updated the ticket too. As soon as there's an update we'll let you know.
MikeyM
Grafter

Thanks Matt, I wonder what a records issue could mean?
MikeyM
Grafter

Had to reboot the router a couple of times again yesterday, I am doing no tweaking of the SNR at all now, so it is syncing at 12db as per the DLM.
Logged on today and it spiked and dropped almost straight away, see attached,
There is something not right in quite a big way I would say.