cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream SNR varying wildly

Revenant
Dabbler

Upstream SNR varying wildly

I have an ongoing issue with my ADSL - ticket number 116591537 - and today BTW supposedly repaired a battery contact fault on my line. I'm running Routerstats and ever since BT's fix the upstream SNR is going nuts - see attached graph. I don't know if this will stabilize or indicates there's still a fault but I thought I'd let you know what's going on at the moment in case it helps. The repair was done at the time where downstream SNR drops to 0.
14 REPLIES 14
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Upstream SNR varying wildly

Oh dear, that does not look nice!
It rather looks like you DS target SNRM is 9dB (not ideal) and you have noise issues on bot DS and US.  Is the phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2.  Do you still have Christmas lights up?  Have you gone around the home UNPLUGGING electrical equipment to see if your SNRM changes in a marked way?
You should be looking at anything and everything, especially things with power blocks - these can and do deteriorate with age.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It might return to normal after the next re-sync.
Revenant
Dabbler

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I've unplugged everything on the same circuit as the router without any change in the instability of the upstream SNR; my target SNR (down) has always been above 6, in fact with the PN router supplied it got close to 15 Sad I'm now using a different router and having had some work done by the PN support team its decreased to between 7 and 8, but like you say, still not good. The router is wall mounted well away from any electrics, i-plate fitted to master socket, short twisted pair cable from that to the router and ethernet to the pc, should be about as good as it gets on my side. Upstream SNR only started bouncing around like this after whatever BT did to 'repair' the line, so pretty sure that's no coincidence.
Is it worth me forcing a resync tomorrow morning to see if it stabilizes? The router I'm using (D-Link DSL 2640R) doesn't allow me to disconnect the ppp before powering off, do you think the DLM will put the SNR even higher if I do this?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A couple of thoughts - the source of interference does not have to be on the same mains circuit as the router.  The nature of the issue is that something can radiate electrical interference which is picked up the by the phone line (often internal wiring) and messes with the ADSL signal.
Doing a single drop should have no effect on the DLM.
Are there any phone extensions - used or not?  Though the router is plugged into the master socket other phone extension wires could have a detrimental impact on the line's performance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Revenant
Dabbler

I removed all of the other phone extension wiring a while back as I wasn't going to be using any of it so the only things on the master socket are the router and one phone (different sockets courtesy of the i-plate). I have tried unplugging things (particularly anything with a smps) on other mains circuits in the past with no effect on SNR or sync rate.
Tomorrow I'll power the router off to force a resync and hope it stabilizes, if not I'll also try the quiet line test and report back.
Thanks.
Revenant
Dabbler

I power cycled the router this morning to force a resync but the upstream SNR is still all over the place - routerstats graph attached, as are the latest BTW speedtest data.
In order to eliminate any issue of emi or rfi in my house I went a bit ott - when the router was powered on it was the only thing in the whole house with any power - the pc and monitor were then plugged back in to restart routerstats, and the rest of the house powered up gradually since then - nothing has caused any significant change in the SNR.
I've also done a quiet line test and there's definitely noise on the line, not loud but a continuous background hiss like white noise. This is using a cordless phone however; neither I nor anyone I know still has a corded phone for me to try - its possible that the noise comes from the phone itself.
Edit: Just used pingtest.net to assess line quality and got 4% packet loss - this has always been 0 before. Things are getting worse, not better Sad
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I'd suggest powering off the screen for a while (remove the power lead at the socket to ensure that the PSU is dead).  Then turn it back on after 15 mins - then check the RS graph to see if it was "quiet" during that time.
It is not unheard of for such issues to arise from the computer /screen itself!  Crazy
After than try the faults trouble shooter - with a SNRM of 9dB you can certainly try the "slow speed" claim.

Revenant
Dabbler

I've tried disconnecting the monitor as well - no effect. Unless either my pc or router suddenly started kicking out a lot of noise at the exact instant that Openreach 'repaired' the battery contact fault this is a problem on the line, not in my house.
Please can someone DO SOMETHING about this - the ticket has been open since 20th Dec, this topic has >300 views but not a single response from PN staff
I'm being done, alright, but there's nothing here to be proud of... Angry

Edit: Amazing - finally got so hacked off that I resorted to shouting on the forum (not what I like to do) and within seconds I get a text to say an engineer has been tasked to sort the line out. Other users take note...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Cause and effect are a bit tenuous in the absence of CRT comment here - I'd suspect coincidence!  Cheesy

Revenant
Dabbler

Total lack of response to engineer visit request

Re ticket:116591537
A week ago I replied to your support team confirming that I did need an engineer visit and giving 3 times when I would be available as requested. The last of these ran out yesterday, as far as I can tell you haven't even read my reply yet >:(. This is beyond a joke, my ticket is now running into its third month with no improvement to my service. To call your customer service abysmal would be a compliment.
As a separate issue my service is contracted but there is nowhere on any of your webpages that I can find an end date for this contract. Please provide this information so I can get the hell out of my asscociation with the most incompetent company I've ever encountered ASAP without having to pay for the privilege
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Total lack of response to engineer visit request

I've just looked back at your previous posts and I'd say your final paragraph is totally justified.
Any fault Plusnet may have opened with 'their supplier' will probably have timed out.
If you go to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=account_summary you should see something like
Unlimited Fibre Broadband (Without Phone) £66.24(upon cancellation)

That will reduce each month and go to zero when you are out of contract.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I see from the latest post by this user his ticket is being ignored! Angry
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Total lack of response to engineer visit request

Hi Revenant,
I'm sorry to hear you've not had a reply for a few days now.
I've just taken a look at your account and I'm glad to see a faults agent is working on it at the moment so you'll hear back from us again soon.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's Note
Topics merged for continuity of information.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine