cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream Bit Errors on ADSL2+ - anything to worry about?

davedean
Dabbler

Upstream Bit Errors on ADSL2+ - anything to worry about?

Hello all,
I'm seeing lots of bit errors on the upstream side of my ADSL2+ link. There are no errors on the downstream. Should I be worried?
I've attached a screenshot of the status page from my router, with the errors highlighted in red.
Speeds seem okay, although I'm only getting 13 mbps from a sync speed of 18 mbps. Not sure if that's related.
I appreciate your feedback.
Thanks,
Dave
4 REPLIES 4
wo0x
Grafter

Re: Upstream Bit Errors on ADSL2+ - anything to worry about?

I was just about to ask the same question on my thread. I'm seeing around 80,000 bit errors per day on my upstream. What's the up time on those stats?
davedean
Dabbler

The stats in the screenshot are from an uptime of around 48 hours.
The router has now been up around 72 hours, and I'm seeing an average of 4200 bit errors an hour on the upstream.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Nothing to be worried about. We can see a small number of errors on your upstream which coincide with the bit errors you're seeing, it shouldn't be service affecting.
Your throughput was lower as our profile was catching up, I'd expect with a PPP drop (log into router and 'Disconnect' and 'Connect' your speeds should be back to normal.
davedean
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply. I'll stop worrying about the bit errors now!
Speeds are looking good after a disconnect/reconnect. I now have a sync of 18723, an attainable rate of 19996 and an IP profile of 16.51 Mbps. Hopefully this will sync up after a few days stability
Dave