cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploads cutting out

FIXED
abfdavey1

Uploads cutting out

Hi, we've recently switched over to Plusnet but have been having quite a few problems with the upload part of the connection dropping out. The speed test seems to come out with a range of up to 0.2-0.3Mbps, but more often than not actually reads 0! The download speed seems to be around 5Mbps on average.

The router is in the same position we've always used, as are the laptops we're using, but it seems like the connection is dropping out from the Wifi or from the broadband quite regularly. We have recent firmware (the last update was on 11th April). I've tried disabling the 5GHz channel and just running off 2.4, and we're on channel 11.

Please help - thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Uploads cutting out

Less traffic on 5ghz channels.

Get a free wifi analyser app to check which channels are most heavily used in your

locale; then choose the least occupied.

PN Router not good at wifi; why not use your old one if it performed, and reconfigure to PN Settings Smiley

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

There could be two distinct problems here..

• WiFi which is related to the layout of the building, number and type of devices connected
  • The broadband link

These are not one an the same and need to be examined separately.  That is why it is recommended that DATA speed tests are performed over an ethernet connection, with WiFi turned off and the router plugged into the the test port behind the NTE5 (telephone master socket) faceplate.

In the first instance, can you please confirm which router you have?  If you have the Plusnet Hub One, do you see the lights on the router changing colour?  Sight of the router line stats would be helpful.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Fix

Hiya @abfdavey1, thanks for getting in touch on our forums and a belated welcome to Plusnet Smiley

I'm really sorry for the issues that you've been having with your upload speed and for the problems this causes. Let me do what I can to help Smiley

Looking over the testing I've ran, no faults are being detected and it looks like you're actually on the wrong profile for your line and this is causing you to receive limited speeds. I've placed an order to modify you on to the correct profile and this should complete any time up to midnight tomorrow. 

Can you let me know how things are Friday and if still having the same problems I can then take a further look at this for you?

I've also created a fault ticket on the account here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=223773435

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
abfdavey1

Hi Lauren,

Thank you so much for this - it's been so much better since Thursday! Can I just ask if the profile setting was a router issue or a line issue, and is it possible it was messed up before our switch? Our previous ISP was awful so I wouldn't put it past them to have broken something in the settings since we'd been having various issues for months!

Thanks again!