cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploads count towards usage limit?

JackDavidson

Uploads count towards usage limit?

I'm about to set up my own web server and wondered whether uploads counted towards your monthly usage allocation? Initially I assumed that it doesn't as ISP's usually refer to the limit as a "download limit" and the vast majority of traffic is probably downloads. Although as its referred to as a "usage limit" by PlusNet it wasn't so clear.
I've been hunting round the small print but haven't found anything that spells this out, so an official answer would be great.
Thanks  Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
Spider
Grafter

Re: Uploads count towards usage limit?

Not an 'official answer' but uploads do count towards your usage limit.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Yes, uploads do count, and PN certainly aren't alone in that respect. Can't think at the mo where I've seen it officially spelt out, but I'll post if I find it.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Yer tiz
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/usage/vmbu.shtml
Below the two screenshots.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
coastergrotto
Grafter

If you are worried about your monthly usage limit  you maybe should consider changing to Plusnet's new unlimited usage product.
itsme
Grafter

Are you aware of the daily allowance for website traffic? You can read about here
paulh
Rising Star

aren't those two different things?
I understand the OP to be thinking about setting up a webserver at home (so is wondering about whethr others downloading from his home server is seen as "uploading" on his BB usage by PN); whereas the usage limits on webspace you are linking to refers to hosting a site on PN's servers.
(i think ... )
itsme
Grafter

You are right should read and engage brain and not just skim posts.
JackDavidson

wow quick replies from the community, thanks for that Smiley Seems it does count.
I'm on BBYW3 at the mo so I'll switch to unlimited, I was also thinking of increasing my upload bandwidth to 832kbps with Max Premium http://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20 . The site I am building is a multiblog/community site using Drupal, has anyone got any feedback about how they have found running their own webserver from their PlusNet account?
itsme
Grafter

For the past 2 years I have run both web and email servers on my connection and have had no problems. 
scootie
Grafter

max prem is well worth the extra dollar esp if you have specific use for it.
i would check to see if your exchange is 21cn WBC enabled and maybe give the plusnet adsl2+ trail ago you will get the upload for free then.
the only downside of the adsl2 uplaod is it's a varable sync rate where max prem is fixed at 832kbps. but if your on a gd line you will get  higher up sync on adsl2 than max prem.