cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload v download speeds

julianoxford

Upload v download speeds

I want to understand how it can be that while my download speed is fine at about 7 mps, upload speeds struggle to reach 300 kbs meaning that I can no longer skype my son abroad. This is actually worse than my previous provider, O2. Stuff I read suggests that upload speed should be at least one tenth of download speed but that the provider can change this ratio. So do I blame Plusnet?  I might add we have done all the things you are told to do and have tried different laptops, same result. I am thinking that the only way of getting a reliable decent speed is switch to a cable provider but I have unfortunately only just started as 12 m contract (which I am trying to cancel).
Anyone able t explain how this can happen?
15 REPLIES 15
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Upload v download speeds

Stuff I read suggests that upload speed should be at least one tenth of download speed but that the provider can change this ratio
The maximum upload speed on ADSL is approx 1Mb. ADSL2 can be provisioned on either a 448k ( fixed maximum ) or an 'uncapped' ( as fast as possible upto 1M ) upload. Your previous provider O2 probably had an uncapped upload.
Normally PN configure on the 448k but you can request it to be uncapped ( it's free ). Sometimes upcapping the upload can reduce the download a little.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

julianoxford

Many thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No problem. Welcome to the forums BTW.
Whilst the forums are not a formal support facility, PlusNet have a Digital Care Team (DCT) who monitor them, one of them may well spot this thread and offer to uncap your upstream.
If that doesn't happen, then give the CSC a call and they should be able to do it ( usually takes 24hrs ).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi julianoxford,
Just let us know if you'd like to go ahead with this and we'll get the order placed for you, it should complete tomorrow.
eddiet
Hooked

Hi there
I too am a new customer having changed supplier from O2 to Plusnet to Sky today.
It was a very smooth an automatic config and setup process which is great to see.
However I have noticed the capped upload speed also - please can I ask request an uncapping, as Skype isn't going to work for me either!
My username is etelford
Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi eddiet,
That's been placed for you and should complete tomorrow, though to be fair skype will work absolutely fine on a connection with a 448k upload.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Certainly audio works fine on a capped upstream. I'm not sure about video though, you probably need > 500kbps fro high quality video.

eddiet
Hooked

Thanks for the quick response. Good customer service!  Smiley
julianoxford

Matt Taylor
Great yes pl do this

Julian
ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

Hi all,
Skype have a nice useful page that shows you what sort of bandwidth you need for various types of calls.
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1417/how-much-bandwidth-does-skype-need
As you can see, for normal video calling the capped upload should be fine. For high quality, you may very well struggle without it being uncapped and for HD you really would need to be on a fibre connection.
The page also takes you through checking in skype what types of calls you would be capable of.
Hope people find that link useful!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Julianoxford,
That's now been placed for you and will complete tomorrow morning Smiley
julianoxford

Problem solved as of 8am today
I am really, seriously impressed by the commitment to customer service - setting up this site, responding quickly, explaining things, getting a solution. I've worked in the service sector and know how rare this is
I'd like to suggest that Plusnet takes over the NHS, the police, the Government.......
Julian Smiley
mechbrduk
Dabbler

I hope it's ok to use this thread, i recently moved from BE to here and every things been quite good so far, download speed is pretty much fine, generally the same between 5 and 7 Mbps.
My upload speed though is pretty much the same as the others posted, so would it be ok for me to request mine be uncapped too please  Smiley
On another note thank you for such a smooth transition from BE to Plusnet.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Thanks very much and welcome to the community Smiley Really glad you're impressed.
I've just placed an order to uncap your upstream for you, it'll complete tomorrow.