Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload suddenly been capped?

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Upload suddenly been capped?

After my major line issues were resolved over 3months ago now, things have been excellent, very few if any sync drops, and occ loss of PPP.  Both routers, an old Speedtouch 585V6, and my new Netgear DG834PN, were syncing quite happily at 888kbps. It suddenly seems that my upload has dropped to 444.  This must have happened sometime last night, as (rather sadly since the line issues), I check the sync almost every day. Downstream seems fine, currently 6338 on a 46dB line (was 44 with the speedtouch...) Anyone ay ideas as to why it would suddenly drop to 444.  line stats below.  Also anyone know how to check for the last resync on the netgear Dg834PN?? All it gives is the WAN uptime, which I assume is the PPP link to PlusNet.
Cheers
ADSL Link   Downstream   Upstream
Connection Speed 6338 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 46.5 db 23.7 db
Noise Margin 11.0 db 24.7 db
Mr Thicky here, has just noticed that ADSL2+ is now available on Value Crazy.  I was one of the orig trialists, so I presume I was already on 21CN, and ADSL2+, but noticed in the announcement post, that initial Upstream would be 448. I wonder if my accounts been tweaked, or been in a blck move as I am value, and I have been dropped back to 448??  Does this sound like a resonable idea?Huh
12 REPLIES 12
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Upload suddenly been capped?

Do you have a heading Logs under Content Filtering in the side bar menu
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi Jim.
See screenshot, of the router interface.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It happened at 05:42 on Friday as that was when it lost the ppp session which could have been just the session to Plusnet or the whole connection to the internet.but why I have no idea
That is why I have Routerstatd running continuously as it differentiates between the two.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Penfold,
It looks like your interleaving has been removed and as a result the upstream has been capped at 448 - I suspect putting interleaving back on will remove that, but thought I'd offer the choice in case you'd rather keep the fastpath on there?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

So are uncapped upstream and fastpath mutually exclusive then ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not as far as I know, but one of the things we've noticed about 21CN is that there's a definite tendency to reduce the upstream in favour of increasing the downstream speed if errors are noted on the line. That's why it tends to happen more when fastpath is enabled - as there's no error correction on the line in that case.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matt.  Well Downstream sync remained about the same 6338, as opposed to 6414.  Seems stable enough, and i am not that unduly fussed about upload speed.  I presume that I can ask at a later date to have it back on, via the member centre.  One thing, however is, why was it removed, and would that have caused the resync event?
Interestingly, the member centre states Interleaving is ON......
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I suspect as interleaving is on Auto that the DLM system has removed it... of course if you want it back on let us know (if the option isn't there in the members centre) and we'll get that sorted for you. Interleaving being set to Auto would explain why it's reported as on in the members centre too.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi Matt.
Can you have interleaving put back on.  had another resync event today, for no apparant reason, and sync now dropped to just over 6000. Line has always been stable with interleaving on.  Can we also ensure the upload is not capped please.  Why the hell did the DLM think this was a good idea.  Anything you can do, to stop the DLM from p***ing about with my line please do, it fine with no intervention from the damn thing.
Cheers
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi penfold,
I've asked one of the provisioning guys to place the order for you as it's not playing ball for me. I'll keep you posted but expect interleaving to be on for tomorrow if you don't hear anything Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep - order now placed, interleaving should be back on for you in the morning. I hope the upload speed will increase along with that too, if not it'll follow shortly after.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Matt
According to my router logs, the whole thing restarted for some reason 30mins ago.  now not sure what happened before this, but my upload is back at 440, from 1024 yesterday. had the bloddy DLM been messing again.. Is is possible to override the DLM, and keep interleaving ON PERMENANTLY PLEASE.  I dont game, and a slightly higher ping is of no consequence to me.
Also am I starting to have alot of disconnects again, the router I have, dosnt tell me when the resyncs were, just when the PPP connection is lost.