cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds above 1meg

jgorton7

Upload speeds above 1meg

Hi there,
I've recently found that my upload speed is becoming an issue. I have been uncapped (i think) but find that i only get upload speeds just shy of 1meg.
Really it would be good to push nearer 2meg. Is there anything that can be done? I'm not sure i understand why this can't be done as the line could handle it.
If this could be looked into i'd greatly appreciate it.
Kind regards,
jake
19 REPLIES 19
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Upload speeds above 1meg

Are you on fibre or ADSL?
The maximum upload speed for standard ADSL2+ is ~1.2Mbps, although paying £10 extra per month (plus VAT) for Annex M can give you up to 2.5Mbps.
I'd be very surprised if your approx.1Mbps upstream is not somewhere near the national average for ADSL2+.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Not 100% sure but I believe that Annex M is only available on business products.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
JayG
Pro

I'm not sure either, but unless I'm reading it wrong THIS seems to suggest that Annex M is available on business and residential lines (subject to 'line conditions'.)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

used to be but I am fairly sure that it no longer is
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Is that Annex M used to be available only on Business products and is no longer only on business products?
I note that this page was last updated 10th June 2014
Although if the current speed is just below 1M, I wonder if annex M would give more. Posting DSL stats would give a better idea.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No
Annex M is now only available on business products - this was covered in another thread which I may find later
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

So the Broadband download and upload speeds page need correcting then Shocked  Huh
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

The text could be clearer, but the chart above the text does contain the correct information.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
JayG
Pro

So does this part of the page does contain the correct info (i.e. Annex M available on both types of account?)  Undecided
ADSL2+ (Residential products) up to 17Mb/s up to 1.3Mb/s**
ADSL2+ (Business products) up to 18Mb/s up to 1.3Mb/s**
Fibre up to 76Mb/s ‡ up to 19.5Mb/s ‡
* Max DSL Premium is available on request for customers using Max DSL broadband. Please see our Max Premium FAQ for more details.
** ADSL2+ circuits are provisioned at 448Kb/s by default. Speeds can be uncapped on request using the Help Assistant.
Annex A upload speed is up to 1.3Mb/s. Annex M upload speed is up to 2.5Mb/s; availability is dependent on line conditions and costs £10 per month exc.VAT. It is available on request using the Help Assistant.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The ' £10 per month exc.VAT' bit implies a business costing but the whole text is by no means clear as the symbol is against both residential and business products.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I've advised it to our Incident team (raised a problem in old money) for investigation.
EDIT: Problem 84976 for accountability.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

ADSL2+ circuits are provisioned at 448Kb/s by default.

Surely that is out of date information? Despite the number of users still finding their upstream capped, we have been assured on a number of occasions that this no longer happens by default.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Brian,
That depends on what you mean "by default"?
I'm told that PN's automated provisioning system defaults US to uncapped.
I'm also told that the manual ordering screens on BTw's systems used by PN staff to place orders or line changes (SNRM reset, interleaving changes etc.) "default" the US to capped.  Therefore if (when focussed on some other characteristic) if the operator performing the manual action foregts, the US gets set by BTw's "default" choise to CAPPED.
HTH?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The quote from the linked page is not ambiguous. If the Provisioning system has changed, then the page is out of date, and presumably not just about ADSL2+upload speeds if the Annex M information is also incorrect.
Just sayin'...