Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload speeds a bit rubbish

mickthefitter
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Upload speeds a bit rubbish

I seem to have been experiencing a few internet drop-outs lately, after a period of stability, which seems to have resulted in my upload speeds dropping from about 0.6 mbps to a very poor 0.2 mbps at best. I've done a couple of 'graceful' disconnections with the TG582n router to try ot improve matters but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. So based on what I was doing last time around I had some issues, I've taken a few readings. Bearing in mind this was done just a few minutes after my last reconnection, here are some readings. 

DSL

DSL Connection  

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 11:06:09
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 384 / 9,031
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 110.03 / 1.07
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.8 / 20.4
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.4 / 45.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.2 / 4.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 61 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 7,706 / 8
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 23 / 1,709
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 926

BT wholesale performance test - 

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  6.97 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.97 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 7.96 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.32 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.32Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

The weird thing here is that a few days ago the IP profile for my line was about 21 mbps and had been fro some time - I was only achieving 8 but I was happy with that. Why has the BT profile dropped from 21 to 7.96 now? 

The Plusnet estimated line speed info is as follows - 

Estimated line speed:There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.Current line speed:8.1 Mb

So, some weird stuff. Plusnet says the current line speed is 8.1mbps yet BT says its 7.96, and I happen to know that for a few weeks that BT graph said the IP profile was 21mbps. What's going on? 

5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Upload speeds a bit rubbish

Our tests aren't showing any particular cause for this.

Is the router connected to the master socket?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Good morning. 

I've just done some new readings. Things now seem to be back to normal. But doing the BT wholesale speed thing, the scale now goes up to 21Mb again, as I had said it now does these days - rather than the 7.96Mb displayed yesterday when I did the readings. 

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
  7.92 Mbps

0 Mbps 21 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 7.92 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 8.43 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
  0.72 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.72Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

DSL Connection  

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:04:35
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 880 / 9,563
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 126.67 / 1.20
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.2 / 20.4
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.3 / 45.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 63 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 8 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 8,541 / 8
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 3 / 7
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 12

So when I took the DSL readings, at about 9am this morning, the 'uptime' says 0 days, 0:04:35. So I take it that means 4hrs 35min since the connection was re-mad - when I was in bed - I did my own soft restart before the sun went down last night, at about 7pm. So the router (or Plusnet) has dropped and reconnected overnight - maybe resulting in the improvement in upload speed I now see. 0.6Mbps used the be the best I could expect and it was adequate for me - after a recent notification that either Plusnet or BT had been doing some line upgrades, my download speed was always near 8Mbps and upload speed near or over 0.7Mbps. Basically it is since last Saturday night that I noticed I had to give up using the internet sometimes for watching video because the downstream was down to 3Mbps or less, and upstream 0.2Mbps, which meant uploading photographs was painful. 

Yes my connection to the router is via the main socket. This is something I did a lot of work on last year with the help of you chaps. If you search my username the only other thread under 'mickthefitter' on here at the moment is one titled 'download speed up when under test, down again when not' (or something close to that) and we did a lot of work establishing the soundness of my copper wires, I moved the router and power supply to it, to get it near the main socket, and I got slapped wrists for my habit of turning the router off at night, which I stopped doing. I always use wi-fi unless I'm running tests, but usually when everything is running fine wi-fi gives me exactly the same DSL and broadband speed readings as a wired connection. 

But on the subject of wi-fi, I just checked my router settings in the Gateway and last time I checked, I'd manually selected a wi-fi channel to one I decided worked better for me. The settings have now reverted to automatic channel selection. Does this mean someone has remotely adjusted my router? 

mickthefitter
Rising Star

Oh, that 0 days 0:04:35 is four and a half minutes isn't it? Not four hours? The broadband dropped and reconnected just before I ran the test! 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Our testing is intrusive so it will have caused a drop which interestingly seems to have brought your speeds back up.

I'd recommend keeping a eye on it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Yes, I will keeps tabs on it - though it's hard not to when I suddenly become aware that my broadband activities are being filtered through a tea-strainer! Smiley Mick.